I’m a parent and educator

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
katiefmortenson

I’m a parent and educator

Post by katiefmortenson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm

I have three children at the centre I work at and I’ve also recently started there permanent part time. Today I had my boss tell me I need to delete any parents that I have personal details for as I’m not meant to build a personal relationship with them. This is frustrating for me as I was a parent first and I’m still a parent to three kids in the centre now and I feel I have every write to be able to share my personal contact details with them. If I were just an educator, I completely understand, but I was and still am a parent first.

Lorina

Re: I’m a parent and educator

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:00 am

Hi,

This all comes down to ethics. However, I don't think it's necessary for you to delete personal contacts of parents that you have formed relationships with. Your boss will be concerned with favouritism from your end as in since you now work at the centre you may favour the children of the parents you have formed a relationship with. I completely understand that with work you will be unbiased and treat all children as equals but your boss may not see it that way. Also, since you have formed relationships parents may favour you with concerns or issues rather than share them with the educator involved.

I suggest that you just reassure your boss that you will you will keep work and family life separate.

I can understand where you're coming from and I also understand what your boss may be thinking as well so it's best to come up with a solution that works best. Asking you to delete contacts is unnecessary though.

:geek:,
Lorina