Scenario: Jinsong - Hearing Loss

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Scenario: Jinsong - Hearing Loss

Post by Lillypad88 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

scenario
Jinsong: Part C
Jinsong has been at the centre for 15 weeks. He now attends weekly speech pathology sessions. The Educator from the Early Intervention Service has arranged to meet monthly with Zennie to review Jinsong’s progress. It was agreed that the key learning goals and objectives for Jinsong would focus on motor skills, English language development and social interactions with peers. (Parents will continue to speak to Jinsong in both English and Mandarin).

Question:
Based on all available information complete the attached Individual Education Plan (IEP) for Jinsong detailing:
• His strengths and interests.
• His social and communication skills.
• His key areas of developmental concern.
• 3 goals for Jinsong’s learning and development, including:
• Barriers Jinsong may experience related to goal achievement.
• Jinsong’s strengths related to the goal.
• Strategies for achieving the goal.
• Describe the ways the IEP plan will be communicated/shared with the family
• Describe the way in which strategies developed in the IEP can be shared with other team members working with Jinsong
Document your answers on the attached ‘Individual Education Plan’ Template

5. Educational Plan (Identify 3 goals as well as barriers, strengths related to goals and strategies for achieving goals)
Answer:Goal 1 Interaction with other children.
Identified barriers answer:rarely uses verbal language
-does not initiate interaction with other children
-language delayed, vocabulary of less than 50 words of mixed Mandarin and English
-not observed to engage in verbal interactions
-was care for by his elderly aunt, who only spoke to him in Mandarin as his parents are professionals who work full time.

Strengths related to goals:
Answer:to help Jinsong become more fluent in his English speaking skills
-to encourage him to use verbal language more often rather than pointing
-to extend his language skills to more than 50 words
-to help Jinsong interact with the other children in care and him help initiate activities..

Strategies:
Answer: Try and include him in activities during the day, find out what he really enjoys and ask the other children to join in.

Goal 2
Answer: improve gross motor skills
Identified Barriers:
Answer:_JInsong has asthma and uses a nebulizer in the morning and evening
-tires easily
-below average height/weight
-poor fine and gross motor skills
-developmentally delayed

Answer--Jinsong enjoys outdoor play, therefore a goal would be to extend on his passion with wheels etc
-Jinsong enjoys music and likes to dance, a goal would be to include more dance/music time for JInsong to help him develop his gross motor skills.
-JInsong enjoys digging and sand play so I would make a goal for Jinsong to start a vegetable garden so he can dig and enjoy plants and seeds growing. Also allow Jinsong time to play in the sand pit with a spade.
Strategies:
Answer:concentrate on the activities Jinsong enjoys and build upon them. Then gradually extend as he becomes more comfortable

Goal 3
Answer:Arrange for Jinsong to have improved hearing.
Identified Barriers:
Answer:-Jinsong has 20% hearing loss.
-Jinsong does not speak often, but is able to follow directions given in English.
-Jinsong’s does not seem to have a good repour with his parents as when they came to speak to the Educator about him, Jinsong sat passively on the floor and did not attempt to interact with his parents. So he may not have support at home to practise any improvements he might gain while in care.
Answer:-Extend on the gardening and digging interests which is good for developing many different skills and for learning about nature. As well as planting vegetables, seeds and plants, there are many other activities you can do. (do activities that don’t require 100% hearing) Activities that use toys, books and other materials may also help your child to express themselves, improve their vocabulary and gain confidence
-go for a walk and collect different leaves for Jinsong to extend on his gardening interest.
-cooking could be another goal, Jinsong may be able to cook his vegetables for the class, he might enjoy handling the ingredients and mixing in the bowl.
-start a singing program and include Jinsong so he can learn more English and try to hear his voice.
-arrange for Jinsong to see an Audiologist and work alongside them to help with Jinsong’s hearing to try and improve it.
-employ an Educator of the hearing impaired/ deaf to teach Jinsong some sign language so he can communicate more easily. They provide speech and language therapy and additional communication modes,

Strategies:
Answer: Phone relevant agencies to find information for Jinsong’s Mother to help improve his hearing loss.

I got an error message when it was marked saying:
Q5 (case study 3) Educational plan (identify 3 goals as well as barriers, strengths relatedtr to goals and strategies for achieving goals)
Goal 1, 2 and 3 : please revise and resubmit

Strengths related to goals- in this section you need to identify the child;s strengths in relation to each area, yo have written a combination of strategies and further goals. To answer the questions, read the scenario and identify the strengths Jinsong already ahs in relation to your goals.
Please note: Goal 3: Jinsong has 20% hearing loss, it is not a realistic goal to 'arrange for Jinsong to have improved hearing" as this is something that may not be possible . Remember goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and timely, revise and resubmit.
Could you please help me with this as I thought the answer was ok?
Thank you so much
Lillian

Lorina

Re: JInsong Q5. Part C.

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:38 am

I think your responses are fine except for "Arrange for Jinsong to have improved hearing." When a child has hearing loss they cant get it back... it's gone. You can however give him more support and assist him in dealing with his hearing loss.

Here are some strategies to support a child with hearing loss:

Teaching A Child With Hearing Loss

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Re: Scenario: Jinsong - Hearing Loss

Post by Lillypad88 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:15 am

Thank you Lorina :)

mbadal

Post by mbadal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi there!
I am now doing the scenario on Jinsong. Could someone help me on the last 2 questions please.

v. Describe the ways the IEP plan will be communicated/shared with the family
My answer:Before the school system can provide the child with special education for the first time, parents must give written consent. Parents are entitled to a copy of their child’s IEP at no charge.
What else can i add?

vi. Describe the way in which strategies developed in the IEP can be shared with other team members working with Jinsong
My answer: all school personnel responsible in some way for implementing the IEP must know what their roles and obligations are and be given access to the child’s IEP.
Do i need to add the strategies or what can i add more?

I have done some research on it, but that's all i have found. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Mira

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:45 pm

mbadal wrote:QR_BBPOST Describe the ways the IEP plan will be communicated/shared with the family

This question is asking how you can share the plan with the family - so you can give them a copy, go over the plan with the parents so they understand what is happening etc.

mbadal wrote:QR_BBPOST Describe the way in which strategies developed in the IEP can be shared with other team members working with Jinsong

So this question is asking how you are going to share the strategies with other educators working with Jinsong - talking to educators working with him, giving them a copy of the strategies you're working on, having a room meeting to inform the educators etc.

You need to make sure you read the questions because you're missing some points in your response...

Lorina

mbadal

Post by mbadal » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Thank you very much for your help, Lorina!

Regards,
Maya :kiss:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:52 pm

You're most welcome! :thumbup:

P.S - Love your name! My daughter's name is MAYA too!!! :giggle:

Lorina