Scenario: Elaha - Using Language Within The Service

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Scenario: Elaha - Using Language Within The Service

Post by Lillypad88 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Background Information
Child’s Name: Elaha Age: 3.6 years
Cultural Background: The family comes from Afghanistan, They are of the Muslim faith.
Family: Elaha’s family arrived illegally in Australia two years ago as ‘boat people’. Elaha’s father worked as a journalist in Afghanistan and was seeking asylum for his family as he feared his outspoken articles would lead to retribution. During the time in the detention centre Elaha’s father was able to further develop his English skills. Elaha’s mother also attended language classes but missed many during her difficult pregnancy with Nahid (12 months). The English classes for children were very structured and Elaha’s spoken English is poor.
The family was released from detention 2 months ago and now live in government housing. Elaha’s father is studying full time at university and her mother works in a factory.
Sister (Nahid), also in care.
Time in care: Elaha and Nahid have been in care for the past 3 weeks. They attend five days a week.
Language/s spoken at home: First language is Dari (the official language of Afghanistan). Both Elaha’s mother and father also speak Farsi. Elaha’s father speaks English fluently, her mother’s English language skills are developing.
Parents’ expectations: Elaha’s parents want her to be a fluent in English.
Interests: Elaha enjoys all activities but particularly painting, dramatic play with dolls, puzzles, blocks, musical instruments. She has shown an interest in Alexandra (4yrs) and Shahla (4.5yrs).
Observation I
Child’s Name: Elaha Age: 3.6years
Observation Date: 23/2/04 Observer: Fran
Setting: Elaha has just woken up from sleep. Sharon (educator) is sitting on the floor helping children to get dressed.
Elaha walked out of the sleep room, carrying her teddy bear. She put her bear into her locker and then went to the toilet. She then sat down on the floor next to Sharon. Sharon asked Elaha if she would like to go and get her clothes. Elaha nodded and went to her locker. She came back carrying her tracksuit and her shoes. She gave them to Sharon. Sharon asked Elaha what she wanted her to do. Elaha did not reply but looked at Sharon. Elaha took back the clothes and put her track suit pants on. She had difficulty pulling her top over her head. When Fran asked if she needed help, Elaha nodded her head and murmured “yes.”

Observation II
Observation Date: 26/2/04 Observer: Fran
Setting: Indoor free play in afternoon. Children have oil pastels, felt pens and pencils to draw.
Elaha and Shahla are the only children at the drawing table.
Shahla takes a felt pen and says “I am doing this for my Mum”.
Elaha watches Shahla draw a large circle with the texta. Elaha picks up a black texta with her right hand and uses a mature grip to draw a confident circle. She proceeds to draw a face, carefully placing details. She has two attempts to draw a nose.
Shahla looks over and asks, “Who is that?”
Elaha says very softly without looking up, “Nahid”.
Fran comes over and says, “Who is it Elaha?” but Elaha does not respond.
Shahla says, “She said it was Nahid.”
Elaha looks up and Fran smiles and says, “You are a good drawer, mum and dad will like that drawing”.

Observation III - Language Sample
Elaha’s verbal interactions with both educators and children are limited
Elaha speaks very quietly to Alexandra, and Shahla but her interactions are limited to a few quiet words such as ‘yes, no, more, out, me, go, teacher’.
Elaha uses facial expressions, gestures and head movements rather than verbalising
Elaha stands quietly near a educator when she wants something. She smiles at educators and will now sit close for a story
Elaha speaks Dari at home and with her sister at the centre
Elaha has been overheard ‘crooning’ to her ‘baby’ in Dari
Elaha’s understanding of English is more advanced than her spoken English. She can follow directions and respond to requests.

Observation IV
Date of Observation: 27/2/04 Observer: Fran
Setting: Elaha was sitting in the block area, building a tower with Shahla
Time 10.15am
Shahla is holding a long rectangular block in her hand. She places it on the floor next to the tower that she and Elaha have built.
“This is the road”, says Shahla.
She takes a shorter rectangular block and places it in front of the first one. “It’s going to be a long road. Here Elaha, you help me. Make the road to the end of the room”.
Shahla gets more blocks and continues to build the road with one long block and then one short block.
Elaha goes back to building the tower.
Shahla says “It’s too high. It will fall down.”
Elaha looks at the tower and then carefully removes cylindrical blocks from the top. She looks at Shahla who says “Good girl, now it won’t fall over”, Elaha smiles.
Date of Observation: 29/2/04 Observer: Fran
Setting: Lunchtime
Time: 12.15pm
The children are having Pita bread and various fillings for lunch. When Mary (an educator) asks Elaha what she wants on her pita, Elaha points to lettuce, tomato and humus.
Mary says “You need to say the words Elaha.”
Mary points to the lettuce and asks, “What is this called?”
Elaha looks at Mary and shakes her head.
“It’s OK, Elaha. I’ll help you,” says Fran.
“Now, let’s see you wanted lettuce, and some tomato and some humus.”
As Fran is talking see looks to Elaha for confirmation. Elaha nods and smiles as each item is added to the pita bread.
“There you are Elaha. That looks yummy!” Fran passes the pita bread to Elaha.
Elaha smiles and nods.
While Elaha is eating her lunch she watches the other children intently. She appears to be listening as children engage in conversations but does not attempt to join in.

Question:
What would you say to Elaha’s mother and father about Elaha’s use of language at the service?
Answer:
I would like to Learn some key words in the child’s home language that can be used throughout the day and use comfort words in their home language.

But was told it was wrong as the qu;estion states What would you say to Elaha's mother and father about Elaha's use of language at the service? What does the scenario's tell you about Elaha's communication within the centre?
I am not sure what else to write, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Lillian

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Elaha - Using Language Within The Service

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Maybe something like:

Elaha seems to understand English quite well and shows this by responding through her actions and simple words when her peers and educators are communicating with her. Educators should support Elaha with her English by giving her time to respond to questions ask and encourage her to do so. Singing songs and continue to help her through her interactions and verbal communication will give Elaha the confidence to respond to others in sentences rather than one word answers.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

jayydehh

Post by jayydehh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:53 am

What information would you need to gather from Elaha's family about her language?

My answer: The information i would need to gather would be that when in care Elaha speaks limited english, she only mentions her sisters name Nahid and Elaha uses non-verbal communication more than her verbal communication.

Am i on the right track with this?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:05 pm

jayydehh wrote:QR_BBPOST What information would you need to gather from Elaha's family about her language?

The question is asking what information would you need to gather from the family... Such as how does she speak at home, do they practice English at home? etc.

:geek:,
Lorina