Legal & ethical questions

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jenna32

Legal & ethical questions

Post by Jenna32 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm

Hi there!
Getting ready to submit my CHCLEG001 & theres a few bits & pieces i am banging my head against the wall with :giggle:

- If you were to look for 'Industrial Relations Legislation' relevant to employment conditions of the educator’s role, where would you find this information?

so far i have nothing? is this something to google or centre files or?

Case study - "Stacey expresses her concerns regarding her son Jai who has been biting others recently at the service and at home.
Stacey said that last night Jai bit his little sister, so Stacey decided she would bite him back to show him how it hurts. Stacey is adamant that Jai will never bite again. Stacey then goes onto say that if Jai bites again at the service, you have permission from Stacey to bite Jai back."

There were a few questions to this but one im finding hard to extend on:
"After Stacey leaves document in 100 words what would you do next"
so far I have
I would immediately have a talk with supervisor or director about the converstaion Ive had with stacey..

"What are the responsibilities of each person in this situation? – Educator, Senior Educator/ Team Leader, Nominated Supervisor/ Director."
So far I have
After this conversation with Stacey I would imagine our responsibilities would be for Jai & his welfare. Knowing that his mum has said she will bite him back, although this has come across as a one time only thing i believe it would be our responsibility to document this & keep an eye our for any other possible marks on Jai incase this was to happen again at home. With suspected child abuse of our responsibilities of en educator & team leader remain alert, observe the child, pay attention to any changes in behaviour. With everyone working together in the worst case we would need to gather observations on the Jais behaviour at different times throughout the day, record and provide detailed conversations we have had with Stacey, take photos of any marks eg bite marks, provide details on the family background/situation if known... So basically in future if we needed to the department it's good to be prepared with evidence and facts to ensure Jai gets the necessary support

- How do you interpret the policy and procedure for ratio requirements
Im unsure how to answer this?

- List the legislations which would relate to this unit
so far i have
The NQF uses the standards and regulations to improve services and make an impact on children’s development and safety while providing families with information to make informed choices.
NQF objectives
To protect the health, safety, education and welfare of children who enter the service.
To guard against the exploitation of children and their families.
To promote care environments that address healthy growth and development through equality of opportunity.
To ensure services are accountable to parents and children, as well as the community and funding agencies.

Health and safety legislation is designed to protect the health and safety of everyone in the workplace. It sets out the duties and rights of people in the workplace to protect the health and safety of themselves and others.
Confidentiality and privacy is a legal and ethical aspect of your role. The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) protects all personal information handled by an organisation.