CHCFC503A - Environments/Materials That Promote Social interaction

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCFC503A - Environments/Materials That Promote Social interaction

Post by Steffelz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC503A Foster Social Development in childcare
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
This is another question in table form, Ive answered it as best I can but I think its horribly wrong.
The question states, CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES SOCIAL INTERACTION BY FILLING IN THE TABLE.
It sounds simple enough but Ive got myself all worked up.
I was wondering if someone could check what I have done and tell me if its correct, and then there are two parts at the end that I have missed out because I dont understand them.
those are:
G.
When would you respond to children as group members?
and
H.
When would you respond to a child as an individual?

It sounds simple enough but, if you look at the table I have to fill in a section titled "strategies you would use" and then another one called "Materials/resources that can be provided or used including: time, space, materials, people or safety" and I cant see how the question fits in to those sections

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I have uploaded the word document with my table and answers

Description and Message:
I would really appreciate some help,
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Environments for Social interaction

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Steffelz,

I’ve had a read through your table and the responses you had given have some good ideas however I think they are too general. You may need to provide some more examples to some of the points mentioned, to exactly state what types of strategies to use. Along with your responses you can also include some of the following examples:
A. How would you provide Opportunities for children to be involved in different Forms of social interaction? Strategies:

• Provide visual cues (posters and images) in the environment that support and promote social interaction (shaking hands, hugging, laughing).
• Implement social skills instructions in large/small group and individual formats.
• Use modelling, promoting and role playing.
• Give children positive feedback for engaging in social interactions.
B. How would you encourage Children to interact with a variety of people? Strategies:

• Pair socially competent children with shy or less socially skilled children.
• Take children’s characteristics into consideration.
• Give children with limited social skills opportunities to interact with others.
C. How would you support children to develop skills in initiating and developing contact with others? Strategies:

• Use verbal (“you are playing so nicely together”) and non-verbal (high-fives, smiles) reinforces.
• Teach basic social skills such as sharing, taking turns, inviting peers to play etc.
D. How would you ensure spaces for privacy, solitude and/or quiet time are provided and that children are aware of their purpose? Strategies:

• Provide quiet areas and activities which allow an individual privacy and solitude. For e.g. a small tent set up with pillows and books.
E. How would you respond to a child who wishes to watch and observe rather than participate? Strategies:

• Provide the child with an area to watch and observe, such as a chair to sit on or a place on a mat.
F. How would you ensure that cooperation and conflict resolution are promoted? Strategies:

Nothing more to add.
G. When would you respond to children as group members? Strategies:

• When setting clear boundaries between learning centres.
• Giving children ideas for using materials.
• Suggest ways to engage in an activity.
• During group times, small and large group games.
H. When would you respond to a child as an individual? Strategies:

• When suggesting ways to interact with other children.
• Providing positive feedback during an interaction.
• Sharing information about a particular experience or activity.
• Model appropriate social interactions.

As for the second part of the table “Materials/Resources That Can Be Provided” what you have answered is good. I will add an attachment for you to give you some more ideas as well.

[attachment=0]Creating_a_Childcare_Environment_for_Success.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,
:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCFC503A - Environments/Materials That Promote Social interaction

Post by Steffelz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks so much I really appreciate it :)