CHCECE017 - Development Of Self-Esteem and Self-Identity

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kathy33
Participator
Participator

CHCECE017 - Development Of Self-Esteem and Self-Identity

Post by kathy33 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Appreciated If any one can give me an idea to add more on the question below.

Thanks Kathy

Your Question:
How can you enhance the development of self-esteem and self-identity?

My answer so far and I am not sure what else do I need to add more or not? Could any one give me some idea?

Self esteem is the feeling of confidence in ones own abilities, appearance and personality. A child with high self esteem will generally want to attempt new play activities and will be satisfied through their participation in play and they will enjoy a strong sense of identity as they feel they are valued and hold and important role in the lives of people that mean a lot to them.

A child with low self esteem will be generally less enthusiastic about new play activities, sometimes even trying to avoid them and feel frustration if challenges in play are presented. They may feel that they do not really fit into the lives of people that mean a lot to them and may even feel that their needs are not important or that others are interested in seeing them succeed.

These feelings are learnt through experience. Children who are encouraged, supported and given opportunities to play and be independent lean and feel confident. On the other hand, children that are continuously questioned, overshadowed and given limited opportunities to be independent and play receive messages that they are incapable and they will have little confidence in their abilities due to this.

Why is self esteem important?
There is in every culture a basic level of self-esteem that is needed in our family or culture.
•Self-esteem helps people to feel that they can develop their own skills and contribute to their community.
•It gives you the confidence to have a go at something new, and helps you build resilience to overcome setbacks.
•Research suggests that when people have low self-esteem they don't feel confident about doing things for themselves or using their abilities and talents in the best way they can.
•Low self-esteem is also likely to be linked to worse health outcomes such as stress, coronary heart disease and an increase in anti-social behaviours.
•It is important to help develop children's self-esteem from the time they are born to give them a good foundation for health later in adult life. Children of all cultures need to have a place in the family and need to know they are loved because of the special people they are.

Cultural differences

It is important to recognise that some people in some cultures believe that feeling good about your group or community is important, while feeling good about yourself as an individual is not as valued. In some cultures, it is common practice for parents not to praise their child for fear it will create a self-satisfaction that will prevent the child from trying harder.

In some cultures praise is also avoided to prevent a child from becoming 'boastful'. However, having personal confidence and self-esteem does not mean giving up these cultural values, but it can add to them. Children when they feel good usually try harder than those who don't.

Strategies to enhance self esteem through play by:

•Having children measure their own achievements

•Rotate games so that the highly skilled children are not always central
•Be realistic in your expectations of the child, don't set them too high or too low

•Using scaffolding techniques to support challenging experiences

•Encourage children to reward themselves.

•Be a good role model
•Celebrate difference & uniqueness in general - do this from a young age

•Positive affirmations - I think, I am. Encourage & reward positive self talk
•Point out positive associated with ASD not just negatives
•Positive scrapbook celebrating achievements

Lorina

Re: CHCECE017 - Development Of Self-Esteem and Self-Identity

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:44 am

I think that's a good response! :thumbup:

Here is some more information which you can use to include in your response:

[attachment=0]self_esteem_self_concept.doc[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kathy33
Participator
Participator

Post by kathy33 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:31 am

Hi Lorina,

Thanks for the information

Kathy

mummyto3
Helper
Helper

Post by mummyto3 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 pm

I can not open your attachment Lorina?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 pm

What device are you using? It will download on your device and you open it in Word. I just did it, so it works... It's not a link to another site. It's a download so check your download file.

:geek:,
Lorina