CHCECE002 - Oral Health In Early Childhood Settings

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
asha101

CHCECE002 - Oral Health In Early Childhood Settings

Post by asha101 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 am

Hi this is the question from my assignment
• Access an oral health/ dental hygiene policy and procedure from an early childhood education and care service. If you are unable to obtain an applicable policy from a service, undertake a search on the web. You may wish to use key words such as ‘dental policy’, or ‘oral hygiene procedures in child care’ in your search to help you locate a suitable policy.
• Check requirements under the National Quality Framework, including the Education and Care Services National Regulations to identify any links to the policy.
• Undertake research on the Web to find out current recommended practice in relation to promoting good dental hygiene habits in young children. Ensure the recommendations are from an Australian recognised health authority.
• Analyse the policy against current recommendations and requirements. In particular check:
- the purpose or goals of the policy
- applicable legislation referenced or referred to in the policy
- strategies for educators to implement in an early childhood setting to promote good habits and prevent tooth decay in young children
- signs, such as visible decay or gum swelling, and incidents that should to be reported to parents and guardians
- first aid to be rendered in the case of any dental trauma, for example when a tooth is knocked out or chipped in a child
- what type of activities or experiences should be included in the curriculum to encourage and reinforce good dental and nutritional behaviours in children
- the sourcing of the policy.
• Lastly, write a short report (approximately 200 words) outlining the updates needed to align the policy to current recommended practice and requirements. Your report should clearly outline the revision needed to each area of the policy, such as the goals and/or strategies.
If no changes are needed to the policy, state why this is the case and provide supporting evidence.
• Submit the reviewed policy with your report.

I am unsure what I actually have to do and I cant get through to my course advisor so I am hoping someone on here could possible help me or give me some direction??
Thanks

asha101

Re: CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children

Post by asha101 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:08 am

Lorina, are you able to help point me in the right direction

Lorina

Re: CHCECE002 - Oral Health In Early Childhood Settings

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Access an oral health/ dental hygiene policy and procedure from an early childhood education and care service. If you are unable to obtain an applicable policy from a service, undertake a search on the web. You may wish to use key words such as ‘dental policy’, or ‘oral hygiene procedures in child care’ in your search to help you locate a suitable policy.

So you need to find an oral/dental hygiene policy that a childcare centre may use:
Dental Hygiene Policy
Check requirements under the National Quality Framework, including the Education and Care Services National Regulations to identify any links to the policy.

Go through the following to see if you can find any information on dental/oral hygiene:
NQS
National Law and Regulations
Undertake research on the Web to find out current recommended practice in relation to promoting good dental hygiene habits in young children. Ensure the recommendations are from an Australian recognised health authority.

Dental Hygiene Resource Package

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina