CHCCN511A - Obligations Of Employee & Participative Management Of OH&S

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
AshyK

CHCCN511A - Obligations Of Employee & Participative Management Of OH&S

Post by AshyK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just starting my Diploma and am having a little difficulty with some of the questions, particularly surrounding legislation.

Was just hoping to get some help with the following questions:
1. What are the obligations of the employee in relation to OHS legislation?
2. OHS legislation requires employers to engage in participative management of OHS in the workplace. What does this mean? Give example of participative management.

With question one, I previously found OHS obligations being "cooperate with their employer's attempts to meet their legal responsibilities in regard to employees' health, safety and welfare" etc etc (Kearns 2010, pp. 149-150). I don't think those answer the question however, as they seem to me to be more aimed at OHS practice, rather than OHS legislation??

Any help with these questions would be fantastic - Cheers, Ash.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCN511A - Obligations Of Employee & Participative Management Of OH&S

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 am

I think 2 means that we all have to manage OHS so we all sit down and go over things and give our opinions and ideas of how to make our workplace safe

As an employee you cannot see something dangerous and not do anything about it, you have to address the issue. Eg if you see something lying on the floor and it could be a tripping/falling hazard you cannot just leave it there and walk off. It is your responsibility as an employee to move it. If you cannot for some reason you need to make sure you go to whoever is in charge of OHS at your workplace or a superior and make them aware of it.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCCN511A - Obligations Of Employee & Participative Management Of OH&S

Post by cathiek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 pm

HI there
Obligations of an employee are to report anything they believe may be a breach of OHS (if they see a broken brick on the playground to report it & restrict access) another obligation is to play their role in OHS - ie: if they get disinfectant out of a locked cupboard - they must put it back in the locked cupboard.
I agree with Fefe - at my cente - every meeting we have, OHS is on the agenda so any concerns can be raised by any staff member.
Hope this helps
Cathiek