SUSPECTED autism in toddler

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Errinloveskids

SUSPECTED autism in toddler

Post by Errinloveskids » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello,
I have a child im my toddler room who is showing severe autism or adhd signs and im having alot of trouble not being able to help them. She spends 50% of the day screaming and crying with zero way to comfort her, he likes quite space's which is very difficult in childcare but we try our best to give them that. When she is not crying she is in her own world and doesn't interact with any teachers or children, she also doesn't respond to her name being called or anyone talking to her even if we tap her in the shoulder. She has alot of comfort things such as putting her hand in her pants and sucking on palm. I just think she's not enjoying her time here and she isn't gaining anything, I want to be able to help her but I honestly don't know what to do and its getting me flustered.

Thanks in advance

Lorina

Re: SUSPECTED autism in toddler

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:29 am

Have you spoken to the Director about your concerns?

Have you taken observations of the child's behaviour?

Have you spoken to the family about the child's behaviour at home?

:geek:,
Lorina

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:53 pm

A couple quick questions to start: How long has the child been in childcare? Is this all new to her, is she like this at home? speak to the family and get a benchmark for her behaviour. Her demeanour at home is her "normal" so how do they do that for her?

And now some suggestions:
Create a quiet space for her - maybe a little pop up tent or teepee? Make it cosy and encourage her to use it. Put her favourite teddy in there, a photo of her family - maybe a little night light or something. Make it her safe space because the whole room is overwhelming for her.

Through observations start to track the behaviour - does it improve after sleep time? is she a big eater early in the day or does she avoid food til she is really hungry? Does she come in alert or is she sleepy? Is she with you from 6 til 6 or just for a couple of hours at a time? Consider using liquid timers, those silicon pop things or something sensory for her to focus on and be distracted by. the first couple times you may even need to help her feel/use it - hold her hands and guide her.

Can she even hear you? She may not respond because she doesnt know you are asking for her attention. Get down to her level, gently hold her hand and visibly ask for her. If she has limited hearing it may be that she gets no auditory feedback til its at the point of being too loud, you might be all muffled and she loses the clarity with background noise (like listening underwater).

If there is an educator that she has shown any kind of preference for - see if they are comfortable being her key person - they greet her in the morning, they settle her at sleep time. She needs to develop a bond with someone to make her feel safe. There is a strategy called holding space which i have used a few times - it can be draining as you need to be very present and calm and park a lot of things to one side for it to be successful - but iv'e found it very effective as a strategy when everything else isnt working. Im happy to point you towards some resources for this but as a practice its an emotional investment that you may not feel comfortable making (which is fine :-) )

There is a school readiness program called wings to fly which incorporates some great strategies. If your centre hasn't already spent its allocation you can ask for it.

Best of luck and thank you on behalf of the child for seeking out some support for her :-)

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:36 pm

If you are suspecting ADHD in a child, first of all, inform your higher authority the same and consequently inform the parents. Try to know from them if the child is behaving same way as he does in the care centre.

Normally, if a child has ADHD symptoms, then he/she will behave like the following:

Being overly fidgety and squirmy.
Having an inability to sit still for calm activities like eating and having books read to them.
Talking and making noise excessively.
Running from toy to toy, or constantly being in motion.
Will have problems concentrating in an age-appropriate way.
Unable to make friends, and less socialization will be noticed.
Will hesitate to make eye contact.

If you are noticing these things, then without any delay, contact parents because it is important to be guided by a pediatrician first before any assumptions.

After it has been diagnosed by doctors, you'll need to work closely with your child to have behavioral improvements on him.

Thanks
Nandita