Toddie room shanAnigans

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Waterdoll

Toddie room shanAnigans

Post by Waterdoll » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi, I am an assistant in toddler room. We almost everyday run at 10 children. We have a child who bites, kicks, hits, bites, wrestles, pulls hair and does not appear to be interested in anything as much one on one time we offer. We have asked his parents interests (wrestling with his siblings was the answer) and have talked wih the director. Have been advised to take him by the hand as often as possible so he can't hurt other children, however this is seemingly impossible with such high numbers in the room each day. We also split the group some in some out to allow more one on one, but we find ourselves always reprimanding and writing incident reports irrelevant of our support, kind words and attention. I am at wits end! Pls help!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Toddie room shanAnigans

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Do a behaviour management plan. That way you have short term goals you are doing behaviour focused obs that parents can read when you next have a conversation with them.
When parents say wresting with siblings is an interest, I would be steering towards "well that is not an appropriate activity, what else is he interested in?"

Waterdoll

Post by Waterdoll » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks fe fe. What kind of behaviour plan? I don't believe I know exactly how to do this. I got the concept, but could you pls advise what you have in your head or experience. May be where you learnt about these. i will google in the interim. Thank you

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

What you do is observe the child and note the behaviours presenting, you can do anecdotal obs or a running record .. depending on how frequently the behaviours present.
Once you do that you need to have some short term goals ie in 2 weeks I want X to be able to be able to play with 1 child without trying to hurt them
& think of strategies etc of how you will try and achieve this. In 2 weeks you go back and see if you have achieved that and set new goals ... if you have not achieved it then you need to figure out why and what other things will help you get this child to that point.
Then set goals for 1 month down the track then maybe 3 months.

Keep the goals realistic so in 2 weeks don't set the goal to eliminate all the behaviours because it won't happen and you are setting the child up and yourself up to fail.

Hope this helps