tips / ideas to redirect group of children from play fighting

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Sissy

tips / ideas to redirect group of children from play fighting

Post by Sissy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Compared to other educator issues mine seems not so bad, however i find myself almost tearing my hair out and my assistant is ready to quit.
I have a group of 3 year olds that constantly play rough and tumble on the floor. They play fist fights, kicking, jumping on each other to the point where someone gets hurt. i find that this particular group finds it hard to stay focused on any task and gets bored very quickly (more so than the other children) and therefore i almost need to overlap activities so they are distrated.
It happens most when we are putting on sunscreen to go outside, or just before and sometimes during reading stories or singing songs. I try separating, ive tired removing them from the group, ive tried reasoning but i find im repeating myself over and over. any ideas how to stop this kind of play?
thanks in advance.

Lorina

Re: tips / ideas to redirect group of children from play fighting

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:39 am

If this seems to happen at sunscreen time maybe you could give them a task to do to try and keep them distracted. Maybe suggest that they take it in turns to give other children the sunscreen.. The waiting period may seem bit long for them thats probably why they resort to their fighting... Try and re-organize your routine so the waiting time is less.. For e.g. as soon as they put sunscreen on they can choose a book to read while they wait...

:geek:,
L.A

syakira
Helper
Helper

Re: tips / ideas to redirect group of children from play fighting

Post by syakira » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 am

Hi,

I am a student and this is the strategy that I came up with in minimizing behaviour issues while doing my two week placement block.

In my room (4-5 yrs) I put suncreens (in the mat area) on their hands and redirect (2 at a time) to the home corner and apply their sunscreens using the mirror. Another group of children, I will direct them to apply their sunscreen in the bathroom. It really helps. I set up a small mirror, table, tissue box, etc so that they can go there and apply their sun screen. Also set limits on how many children can go there. After putting on their sunscreen they get their hats and sit on the mat ready for songs and story time.

Try and find out what the children's interests are in story books and work from there. Sometimes if a child plays up, I get them to do small tasks for me such as helping me to hold the book (very large size) during story times.

when the children go out to play. Encourage them to line up at the door before going outside.

Also praise children on their good behavior.

Why don't you set up a computer station in your room. Set a limit of how many children can sit there and for how long. Maybe this can also help minimize behavior issues.

help this helps
Syakira