Supporting a child from a Karen bacground

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Supporting a child from a Karen bacground

Post by JNP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am

Hi everyone,
Has anyone worked with a child from a Karen background? I am working with a 4 year old boy and have noticed that he does not make eye contact with educators. When I try to engage him in any sort of converstation he does not answer me. He just nods or continues his activity without answering. He speaks fluent English, because I have heard him talking to the other children during play, but he just does not talk to the adults in the room.
Does anyone know if this is cultural? Not making eye contact/or having conversations with adults. I think it may be but I don't want to stereotype him.
I really want to support this child and want to help him to feel comfortable conversing with us.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jules :)

Lorina

Re: Supporting a child from a Karen bacground

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi Jules,

I haven’t come across Karen people before but after doing some research for you, it is a really interesting culture.

Kind of off topic - I was watching Ripley’s the other day and they showed this elderly woman wearing rings around her neck from when she was about 6 years old to elongate it and this happens in the Karen community as well.

So anyway, some do’s and don’ts of the Karen community (this may help you understand their culture a little better):

•When you are walking past someone, you duck and bow your head lower, especially if you are walking past two people having a conversation. One should avoid walking in front of those who are seated. One should walk behind them or ask for permission first.

• Direct eye contact is sometimes not considered polite, as it is a sign of equal status.

• Normally the Karen people walk behind those who are older or senior to them.

• Folding one's arms in front when talking to another is a sign of respect

• Pointing with the feet or showing the bottom of one's feet or touching the head is disrespectful.

• One does not pick up something belonging to another person. When handing something to someone, it is respectful to use two hands rather than one.

• One first refuses invitations to eat as a matter of respect, and then eventually accepts modestly. Saying “no” the first time is often a way of being modest.

• Shoes are not worn in the home

• In community or family gatherings, young Karen people would normally take the back seats because the front lines seats are quite often reserved for the older people or seniors.

Ref: http://www.seniorcouncil.net

I am also attaching a document about Karen culture/people/heritage/customs etc which may help you out as well:

[attachment=0]Karen_people_booklet.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you L.A.
You are amazing....

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 pm

It sounds like it’s part of their culture so don’t take it personally. He may need some time to adjust to the adults around especially ones that he isn’t use to yet. He may be more comfortable interacting with children than with other adults. Give him some time. How long has he been at your centre for?

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 am

Hi Catchmeifucan,
Thank you for your response. He has been at our kindergarten since the start of the year. He will be going to school next year.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Hmmm... Had a girl from a south east Asian background born here though and she never spoke to adults either. At the centre for over a year and a half. Like you are experiencing she never made eye contact, hardly spoke, very quiet yet when with other children she was talking, laughing, playing and when parents came she spoke to them. It was very frustrating. It felt like she was doing it on purpose. We tried every technique to get her to open up but she would stare blankly at us. I don't know what happened when she left for school at the end of last year... Haven't heard. 

ashleywells2417

Post by ashleywells2417 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 am

You open that problem with the parents, parents knows everything about their child.