How do you personally reflect

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
eagertolearn

How do you personally reflect

Post by eagertolearn » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 pm

I am struggling to find a way that works for everyone to critically reflect thier own personal practices.

We reflect upon our curriculum and all aspects that influence it but my staff and I are sruggling to find a way to critically reflect personal practices. We have tried the 'daily book thing' and that didn't work well the girls used it as a object to vent about other staff or situations not actually reflect upon thier own practices or decisions or how they influenced the situations. I have tried a series of questions to help evoke critical reflection but the staff seemed to just "answer" them not critically reflect.
Staff have been educated in reflection and given lots of guidence and feedback but I dont know if they see the process as important or necessary? I dont know if the problem lies in the format itself or the staff.

I would love to hear how you critically reflect and how often etc. How your staff recieve it and feel about the whole process.

Thanks in advance.

Lorina

Re: How do you personally reflect

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:23 am

Sometimes I feel that some educators don't critically reflect for the right purpose and don't find it necessary. Yes, in hind sight it's important to reflect upon our practice to make improvements but sometimes educators cant be bothered doing the extra work just for themselves... Asking a series of questions in think may be best, even though your staff may just be answering for the sake of it, I guess it comes down to the type of questions being asked to make sure that staff are critically reflecting!

Coincidently over the weekend I have received a request from a user to write an article about critical reflection. I am currently working on it now so it will be available next week. It will provide details on what and how to do critical reflections, questions to be used when reflecting and more.

I'll update you when it becomes available,

:geek:,
L.A