Sleeping problems

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Josephine18

Sleeping problems

Post by Josephine18 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi all!
Was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm an Early childhood teacher at my daycare in the 0-2 year group and we have been having a bit of trouble during nap time with one of our 20 month olds. At the beginning of the year the child started and we had him sleeping on a foam mat with the majority of his other peers. He slept fine albeit less then he does at home. At home he was and still is sleeping in a cot.

During the past two months his sleep during this nap time has been very inconsistent with him sleeping gradually less and less and not resettling after he wakes up after e.g. 20 mins, 30 mins. He is quite loud and screams very loudly upon waking up and is quite fidgety within his sleep.

No one is awake when he wakes up so the room is pretty quiet.

Any suggestions as for strategies and approaches to support him in re-settling/SLEEPING MORE CONSISTENTLY.

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Sleeping problems

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:57 am

How is his sleep pattern at home? What time does he wake up in the morning? Maybe he is finding it uncomfortable sleeping on the foam mat? What time is sleep time at the centre? Could it be too early for him?

Rather than having him sleeping near his friends, maybe you can separate him to another part of the room? Does he have something to sleep with? Do you put sleep music on?

Maybe you could add more physical activities in the morning, in order for him to get more tired to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions, just throwing ideas out there Ian's trying to gain a better understanding,

:geek:,
Lorina