14 month old hates having nappy changed

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

14 month old hates having nappy changed

Post by tinkataylor » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Help! Any advice would be great.

We have had a new child start in our toddler room 2 days pw and he is still getting used to us.

Unfortunately every time we have a nappy change he goes into super drive and wriggles and screams and fights with all his might to get away, we have to have 2 staff hold him down just to get it on him! (Don't ask what happens if he's got a soiled nappy) :(

I feel so bad for this child, I asked mum what he is like at home and what strategies she uses, she just shrugs her shoulders and says, "Sorry, he's the same at home"

I don't understand how a child can get this bad in the first place, let alone what to do about it.

Anyone else heard of or experienced a situation?
Thanks guys,
Tay

Lorina

Re: 14 month old hates having nappy changed

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Yeah changing nappies at times can be a real hassle.... It may be because he is just still getting use to you or because he hates having his nappy changed. Maybe you can start by offering a warning. Something like "I'm going to be changing your nappy in a couple of minutes" etc. Then you could say "After Tom (whoever is before him) it's your turn to get your nappy changed"... You could also have a few toys available during nappy change that can be used to distract the child. Maybe a rattle, a mirror, different pictures on the wall you can talk about... Are you able to hang something from the ceiling to grab the child's attention such as a hanging mobile, a wind chime, ribbons with bells attached... I know it seems like a big challenge right now but I'm sure it will settle in a few weeks once this child settles down!

Good Luck!

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Perhaps he had a bad experience during nappy change and now is scared. Distraction seems like the only way. Find a toy he enjoys and get him to take it along during his nappy change.

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Sing songs, play peekaboo games & give sticker/stamp for good nappy change.

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 am

I agree with the distraction idea. I've had children in my care who loathe nappy changes and distraction usually works a treat. Even something like giving them a spare, clean glove to hold works.

Also, before you change the child, take a moment to take a deep breath and relax. If you go into the change tense because you expect a meltdown, the child will be tense and upset before you even start.

amelia08

Post by amelia08 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Nappy changing is very difficult to some children. I agree with catchmeifucan, may be the child got a bad experience before. Give him his favorite toy to handle or play with him before his nappy change. :)

Cor26

Post by Cor26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I had a child who was terrified of the change table. Ask mum if she uses one? It could be the height thats the issue as well.

To settle the child I had I would sing songs and reassure her "Its going to be okay. We will change your nappy then you can go play." Even just conversing with the child throughout the experience was helpful in settling her down and within a few weeks she settled and wasn't scared of the nappy change process.

sophiebowaus

Post by sophiebowaus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:47 am

How about a reward system? After the struggles in changing the nappy maybe you can give/offer a piece of toy, food that she likes, or a hug or kiss. Well, this is also a question of mine if that age really hates changing nappy or the act of changing it. Are they on the stage that they no longer wants to wear nappy?

daddymarkus

Post by daddymarkus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:29 am

Bring toys or books when you change nappies. Several of them! Use them one at a time as a distraction. This trick has always worked for my energetic son!

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi guys I am experiencing a similar situation. we have a girl around 20 month old, all the other children in her group are nappy wear, whilst her mum told us she's toilet training. we found she often got a wet pull-up(almost every 30 mins) and never would like going to toilet, so we believe she is not ready. whilst mum said she is good with toilet at home and we could train her in day care. But the thing is every time even changing her wet pull-up, I warned her hundreds of times she still appeared doesn't care and once we helped her go to bathroom she bit or kicked staff. one of staff used to say her tummy was quite badly kicked by the girl. once when put her pants on after a fresh pull-up, I used to be quite upset with her kicking, so I put her off the nappy change bench, seriously told her it really very hurt, she stopped and walked up back lying down by herself... however it doesn't work at all for the next nappy time.

mum is soft at home. And once the girl had an inappropriate behaviour, she always picks a 'soft' staff to help her to pat her sleep/nappy change... do i need make a behaviour management plan? how should i talk or educate parents about working out strategies and keep consistent?

thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:05 am

When toilet training a 20 month old you can't expect them to remember to go to the toilet. They need to be reminded and physically put on the toilet every hour or so. Since you noticed that this girl has a wet pull up every 30 minutes then you need to take her every 30 minutes to go to the toilet.

In regards to the kicking and biting could it be frustration from the little girl? Maybe she feels that no one is helping her and gets frustrated that's why she lashes out.

How about when the girl comes in the morning, you excitedly tell her that you are going to help her with going to the toilet today. Tell her that if she feels like going to the toilet to come and tell you and you will also call her to go to the toilet. If she does use the toilet why don't you give her a sticker or a stamp? This will help encourage her to use the toilet more often.

Just because the other children are still in nappies doesn't mean this girl isn't ready for toilet training. If she is doing it at home then you need to continue it at the centre as well. I started toilet training my bub at 18 months. By the time she was 20 months, she was fully toilet trained, in undies and she tells me when she needs to go to the toilet for wees and poos. So, it is possible to toilet train children early!

Lorina

MummyDee

Post by MummyDee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Could be the height, perhaps change the toddy on the mat on the floor. How about playing games lying down on his back, like tickle games etc so he trusts you leaning over him, then slowly work your way to the table. Does he get upset when lying down for a rest? Some children that hate sleep times because of overtired avoid lying down in case they fall asleep. (apparently) Good luck, let us know how you go :-)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:17 am

MummyDee wrote: Some children that hate sleep times because of overtired avoid lying down in case they fall asleep. (apparently) Good luck, let us know how you go :-)
That's a good point!

Lorina

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:40 am

Like everything else nappy changes need to be a personalised experience and what may work for one child may not for another. I find a child who does not like nappy changes needs something familiar and comforting to take in with them, a special toy or book that they can look through maybe. Also talking them through the experience, I have had many children who would get startled e.g. when their bottoms were wiped because the wipes were cold...so involving them and talking helped. "can you help hold the wipe for me then I will wipe your bottom clean" etc

I would be asking mum if the child has had any negative change experiences ... especially if he has been the same way at home. It could be that he did not like being changed by someone else and its freaked him out.

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Lorina wrote: In regards to the kicking and biting could it be frustration from the little girl? Maybe she feels that no one is helping her and gets frustrated that's why she lashes out. If she does use the toilet why don't you give her a sticker or a stamp? This will help encourage her to use the toilet more often.
Just because the other children are still in nappies doesn't mean this girl isn't ready for toilet training. If she is doing it at home then you need to continue it at the centre as well. I started toilet training my bub at 18 months. By the time she was 20 months, she was fully toilet trained, in undies and she tells me when she needs to go to the toilet for wees and poos. So, it is possible to toilet train children early!
Lorina
thanks for everyone's suggestion
I tried give her sticker as encouragement and praise, which did make her happy and consider listening/toileting in a positive way. what's more, as in our bathroom, only one toilet chair and currently only this girl is toilet training, and i observed she showed especially interest with talking/interacting with the children when toileting in other rooms(older age group). so i believed maybe the reason is she likes toileting with other friends, similar like some child loves washing hands with others, instead of alone. And my strategy is let her choose to try toilet next door, or going toilet with others. This week she has been much better at toilet time, instead of refusing and frustration. and every a while she came to me saying hello, gave me a cuddle, which was the first one i v got from her. i feel so glad being able to help her.

thanks for your advice, very precious for me.

Wenda

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 am

Hi Wenda,

It's great to hear that you're building a relationship with this little girl. It's so important so getting a hug is a great step forward! You're right seeing other children going to the toilet makes a huge impact so letting her go to the toilet with the bigger kids will really assist and support her. Just being able to observe what the other children are doing is one way she learns!

The efforts you are doing are making an impact on this little girl so keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Lorina