Pay Rate For Educator Currently Studying Diploma

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Loraine

Pay Rate For Educator Currently Studying Diploma

Post by Loraine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:12 pm

I am studying my diploma in early childhood education and care. Completed 18 units and my first level work placement. I got a job and working 35 to 37 hours per week as a casual worker in a long daycare. What pay rate and level do i fall under. I have no contract received but completed 4 weeks of work. What is the minimum wage should I receive? Kindly guide me.

Lorina

Re: Pay Rate For Educator Currently Studying Diploma

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Your position when working as a casual is to assist the room leader is that right?

Have you completed your Cert 3 qualification before completing your Diploma?

If you have not completed your Cert 3 qualification beforehand, I assume that the 18 units are part of the Cert 3 units. So, I would say you would probably be on Level 3.1

You can check your pay rate here:

Childcare Wages in Australia

:geek:,
Lorina

Loraine

Post by Loraine » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks Lorina.

I'm a casual, still don't know what is my position. It is a new childcare branch and they said I would be working as casual and i was almost fixed for toddler room. There are two more staffs joined after me. Now I came to know it is mentioned floater straight to my name in roster sheet.

I work 36 to 38 hours per week. Kindly let me know what is a floater job. Is the salary differ for a room assistant and floater on commencement level or the salary will be same as 3.1 level for cert3 even if you are a floater. I was told I will be in toddler room. Now they are using me as floater.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:27 pm

A floater "floats" from different rooms throughout the day. So, if you are an assistant in the toddler room, for example, you will be in the room for the whole day but as a floater, you move from room to room so in a day you could work in all the rooms.

There is no difference in pay between a floater or an assistant.

May I ask how much you're currently receiving so I can see what level you have been put on?

Lorina

Aimee Birch

Post by Aimee Birch » Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Lorina,

I undertook a cert 3 traineeship in 2017 and completed it by June 2018. Since the completion I moved to a different centre and was given the opportunity to complete a diploma traineeship. My contract stated that my position was a diploma trainee and classification was cert 3 educator. My pay rate was listed as $20.96 under the children’s services award. I can’t find this figure anywhere under the award. I questioned my pay rate and they moved me up to pay rate $22.04. What I am asking is what should my rate of pay been on commencement last June? I called fairwork and they have mentioned I’m entitled to back pay however my employer is ignoring the fact. I’m unsure where I stand and where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Aimee!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi Aimee,

Since you have completed your Cert 3 Qualification, you should be paid as a Cert 3 Qualified Educator. From June 2018 - June 2019 you would be on be Level 3.1 (on commencement) which is $22.04. From June 2019 - June 2020, you will move up another level - so from next month, you should be on Level 3.2 - $22.79. This is the pay rate if you are still working as an Assistant Educator.

Once you have completed your Diploma traineeship, even if you continue to be an Assistant Educator within the room, you pay rate changes to level 3.4. If you move onto a Room leader position, after completion of your Diploma you will be on Level 4.1 for the first year.

I hope this helps! I know it can be a little confusing to work out!

Let me know if you have further questions.

Lorina

Kwalters

Post by Kwalters » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi, I'm in need of some information in regards to my position at the moment please?. Starting last year I began to step up as lead educator as I was needed some days this is 2018 I'm also qualified very 3 assistant, studying diploma since 2017 then beginning of 2019 I was given an opportunity to become lead educator in the babies room fulltime for 30hrs per weeki have been working in childcare for 5 years I'm 30years old and I'm still on 3.3 level on $23.52 per hour. Is this correct?? Does age and time at employment make any difference to my experience?? Please help, I've have a lot of trouble getting information. Thank you kendra

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Kendra,

Have you completed your Diploma qualification as yet?

- If you step up as a Lead Educator within a room and have not completed your diploma qualification, you should be on Level 4A. Level 4A is for an Educator yet to complete their diploma however becomes a room leader/lead educator.

- As a qualified cert 3 educator, you will stay on Level 3.3 until you complete your Diploma qualification or you become a room leader etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lorina

Kwalters

Post by Kwalters » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 am

Hi thank you for the previous information. To answer previous question, I have not yet completed my diploma as of yet I have 5 modules left to complete. So very soon ☺. I'm currently working full time as a lead educator in the babies room. But am only getting paid as assistant wage on 23.52 per hour. How can I go about to getting fair work information in regards to my situation? My work place area manager is assistant that I'm on the correct level award. 😔

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:42 am

This is the information directly from the Children's Services Award, 2010:

"B.1.5 Level 4A

This is an employee who has not obtained the qualifications required for a Level 4 employee who performs the same duties as a Level 4 employee.

B.1.6 Level 4

This is an employee who has completed a Diploma in Children’s Services or equivalent (e.g. Certificate IV in Out of School Hours Care) as recognised by licensing authorities and is appointed as the person in charge of a group of children in the age range from birth to 12 years or an employee who is appointed as an Authorised Supervisor (as defined in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW)).

An employee at this level will also take on the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 3.

Indicative duties

●Responsible,in consultation with the Assistant Director/Director for the preparation, implementation and evaluation of a developmentally appropriate program for individual children or groups.

●Responsible to the Assistant Director/Director for the supervision of students on placement.

●Responsible for ensuring a safe environment is maintained for both staff and children.

●Responsible for ensuring that records are maintained accurately for each child in their care.

●Develop,implement and evaluate daily care routines.

●Ensure that the centre or service’s policies and procedures are adhered to.

●Liaise with families."

Reference:Children's Service Award, 2010

Lorina

Kuldeep singh

Post by Kuldeep singh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi wht the pay rate after completion of certificate 3 in childcare...thx

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 pm

You'll start on Level 3.1. The minimum wage is $22.70 per hour/full time.

Lorina

RoseD

Post by RoseD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Hey what would the pay rate / weekly pay for trainee studying Diploma?

RoseD

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 pm

RoseD wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 pm
Hey what would the pay rate / weekly pay for trainee studying Diploma?

RoseD

It depends on your position... are you working as an assistant or as a lead educator? It makes a difference in the rate of pay.

For example - if you are working as an assistant and you are yet to complete your Cert 3 units you will be on level 3A, however when you complete your Cert 3 units you will move to level 3.

If you are working as a lead educator you will be on level 4a, when you complete your diploma you will move onto level 3.4 (as a diploma assistant) or level 4 (as a lead educator)... so it depends upon your position...

I know it's pretty confusing!

Let me know and I'll help you out!

Lorina

emmaroselowry

Post by emmaroselowry » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:54 am

I have just commenced my diploma this month - what would I be classified as.

I have secured casual work as an assistant but they haven’t confirmed my pay rate yet.
What should my rate be ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 am

emmaroselowry wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:54 am
I have just commenced my diploma this month - what would I be classified as.

I have secured casual work as an assistant but they haven’t confirmed my pay rate yet.
What should my rate be ?

Have you got your cert 3 qualifcation?

What job position are you in?

Lorina

Loraine

Opening a new LDC in SA

Post by Loraine » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 pm

I am a Diploma qualified educator, have more than 2 years of team leader experience. I'm planning to start my own childcare centre, which is my dream. I have clear ideas about how the LDC works, the NQF, assessment process, enrollement software process etc.

I have few doubts about once I apply for the provider approval and once received it.

1) When should I apply for service approval, after building the centre or buying a house and modify it or even before doing it?
2) What are the list of things needs to be ready before applying for the service approval.
3) Should I need to do the modification and make the building ready before applying the service approval or what if the service is not approved after the changes done.
4) Will the regulatory authority advise me during the modification or construction how it should be done?
5) My major doubts are about the service approval, what are the needs before and after service approval?

I have read the websites, it is a bit confusing regarding the service approval.

Kindly share the possible step by step things anyone did when you started your LDC or anyone who has knowledge about it please share.

Lorina please share you ideas and knowledge too.

Thanks in advance Dhivya

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Opening a new LDC in SA

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi Dhivya,
If you want to open a childcare you need to apply to be a provider then a service if you are in charge.
This can be done online or on paper (the forms are available to view)

Your main point of contact for any enquires including the above questions is your state or territory regulatory authority.
They are best able to guide you through the process.

This is because there are differing laws and regulations depending on your state/territory and local government in addition to the national laws and regulations

As childcare falls under both state and federal law you generally cannot build, advertise etc without approvals in place.

There are many things you have to comply with for example building/zoning codes, safety standards etc.

As you know there are lots of other components such as budgets, staffing, insurance, educational resouces, purchasing software and so on so don't rush into anything.

The first step would be to research and study whilst you enquire about the process.

There are organisations and companies which can assist with this, you may also wish to seek suitable individuals/companies for services your business may require in future such as an accountant, lawyer etc
The regulatory authority will advise you on the requirements but you can invest further to boost your business if you wish.

Contact the SA regulatory authority and go from there.
In the meantime read up on the sector so you are always informed and able to make decisions with as much information as possible.

Put some links below, hope its helpful ;)

Childcare is a very rewarding but a tough, competitive industry at the best of times and extremely challenging at the moment.
The more experience you've got the better!

The childcare provider handbook is an excellent place to start familiarizing yourself with all of the responsibilities you'll have as the boss

Good luck!
https://www.acecqa.gov.au/help/contact- ... -authority

https://esb.sa.gov.au/early-childhood/a ... -providers

https://www.education.gov.au/child-care ... handbook-0

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/resources/applications

https://aussiechildcarenetwork.com.au/a ... e-business

https://elm.net.au/5-resources-for-open ... australia/

https://www.cela.org.au/consulting/

https://www.seekbusiness.com.au/busines ... -childcare

https://www.careforkids.com.au/home/childcarecosts

https://www.childcaresales.com.au/5-buy ... a-new-one/

claragh.brennan

Post by claragh.brennan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 am

Hi, iv just received my email from tafe digital saying I have completed and graduated my diploma. I am previously cert3 qualified. Been at the centre 2 years and I am WHS officer. When can I ask for my pay rate to increase? Is it now or when I receive my transcript and also how much should I be getting paid.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:22 am

As soon as you provide a letter from your Tafe to your employer starting that you have completed and graduated.

In regards to your pay, what is your current position? Are you a room leader/assistant?

Thanks!

Lorina