Childcare Wages?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
beagle.kate

Childcare Wages?

Post by beagle.kate » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum.

I'm 21 and starting a Diploma course in July 2011 and am very excited. I went to Uni to do Teaching, but I pulled out after becoming unwell and haven't gone back because I realised I much prefer working with the 'littlies'.

My partner and I are still living at home, because only he works right now. After I finish study we want to move out and start our lives together, so I was hoping someone could provide me with information on the approximate wages of a Childcare Worker in NSW with a Diploma. I have looked for a similar post and found the topic in the RESOURCES area, but it didn't really answer my question as well as I was hoping one of you could.

I don't know if the type of education you have makes a difference, or where you are living. Currently we're in Western Sydney, NSW, and as I said I will have received a Diploma of Children's Services from a private College in Sydney.

I'm looking forward to your help,

Thanks - Kate xx :)

Lorina

Re: Childcare Wages?

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 am

Hey Kate,

Welcome to the forum 

It’s great to hear that you will be starting a Diploma of Children’s Services course soon. You will definitely learn a lot more and gain the knowledge you will need to give you a step up in this industry…

I understand like any couple, it’s important to move out and start a life together. Honestly speaking, it’s a good decision you have made with studying your Diploma of Children’s Services because otherwise the wages are comparatively less. Seeing that you want to move out, this is a good choice you have made.

From my understanding, once you have received your Diploma qualification you will be recognized as an “Advance Child Care Worker Qualified”. Since last year a new Children’s Services Award has been put into place in all early childhood settings. The Children’s services Award 2010 doesn’t give details on how much you will be receiving on an hourly wage instead it provides details on the minimum wage an employer can pay to you…great help huh??

So once you have completed your Diploma, the first year your minimum hourly wage is $20.57. Over the next two years your minimum wage increases to $20.88 then $21.19. Now I don’t want you to read these figures and think “how are my supposed to start my life with that”. This is to give you a rough idea on what your minimum pay can be. Most employers (especially in corporate childcare centers) pay more than the minimum wage. You should also take into consideration entitlements and benefits that you may also receive on top of your hourly wage such as travel allowance, laundry allowance etc. Remember that this can also be negotiated during your interview. However it’s important to remember that as a first year diploma you shouldn’t be expecting a high hourly wage it increases over the years and as you gain experience. The above minimum hourly wage is based when working in a long day care setting. I’m pretty sure it changes if you are working in a preschool or an OOSH.

The best thing you can do is put your head down and get your diploma qualification and then find a good centre to work in. Are you currently working in childcare at the moment?

Before I go, here is the link to the Children’s Services Award 2010: http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/modern_ ... efault.htm

Sorry I couldn’t give you an exact amount but hopefully this gives you a bit of an insight…

Cheers :geek:
L.A

beagle.kate

Post by beagle.kate » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi L.A,

I'm not currently working. I did some childcare in Year 11 when I lived in ACT. I was moved from room to room depending on what was needed when I arrived after school. I don't have my 'practical assessment' childcare centre sorted as yet either. The closest one to home is an ABC centre.

You're info really helped me.

Thanks,

Kate xx

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Hey Kate,

You mentioned that you have an ABC centre close to your home... Well previously I use to work for ABC (before the problems started) and I really enjoyed working there. They provide you with uniforms, above award pay, I attending workshops, had programming time, great resources and equipment etc. In my opinion the company treated the staff well and I really learnt a lot while working there. You should consider paying the ABC centre near your home a visit.

By the way I'm not advocating for ABC just wanted to let you know the experience I had :lol: !

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

lill.noo

Post by lill.noo » Sat May 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey i was wondering I am 17 and starting a traineeship in childcare (cert 3 ) over one year and was wondering what my hourly rate will roughly be , it's Orana gardens childcare centre dubbo

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi lill.noo,

Starting off with a traineeship in childcare I'm going to be honest with you the hourly wage isn't that great to begin with. I assume that you will be paid under the "Children's Services Award 2010". This award wage is for all childcare workers in all of NSW. I don't know if there is any difference because your working in Dubbo?? Now I can't exactly say but I think you should be paid roughly between $11 - $15 per hour. Remember that this rate can be reduced because you're 17 and therefore your pay may be less, until you're 18. A friend of mine when she started her traineeship so long ago, she only got paid $7 an hour working a 40 hr week...may I ask what has your centre offered you??

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi lil.noo,

Like L.A already said you won't be getting a great hourly wage when you start off your traineeship but if you don't really care about "money" and want to gain experience then you got nothing to worry about.

However i do have a suggestion for you if you are concerned about the hourly wage. Try getting a casual position at a centre a couple days a week and then go to Tafe in the evenings to complete your certificate 3 in children's services. It may seem like an easy option but i think it will be hard to find a childcare centre that has casual work available for only 2 days a week. If you work casually then you will already be getting more (hourly wage) then a traineeship position. Although it is not steady, you may work for a couple of days in a week and then you may not have any work for the next couple of weeks. That's the price you pay for being a casual worker.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:39 pm

My last job I was getting just over $24 / hr as a GL while studying my Diploma
However I got 10% more for having a Montessori Diploma & 10% more for being a part of the staff for this particular Montessori so I may have been paid a bit more than others
this was in QLD
the job before that i was gettin $22/hr and only had a cert III

Maxi2

Post by Maxi2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 pm

I have recently just completed my diploma in children's services, because I was a trainee I have been on a low wage since I begun my cert 3 to my diploma. I was expecting my pay to go up atleast a $100 or so, I received my first pay check as a qualified childcare worker and my pay had gone up a measly $34! I wouldn't recommend anyone to go through 3 years of study to be on such a low wage! Deffinetly ECT is the way to go