As a trainee can I be left in charge of the room?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
brookeheg

As a trainee can I be left in charge of the room?

Post by brookeheg » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:47 pm

So today was a very stressful day at work, we only had two permanent educators in our 2-3 room (diploma + me a trainee) we then had a new trainee (it was her third day) and then two casuals (one of which was their first day at our centre). The other permanent educator needed to go on break which left me in charge of the room I told the director I was worried being in charge of the room as it was lunch time and we had ALOT of things that needed done and the staff was not the best she replied "If you need anything just call the reception", the other permanent educator came from break and all was good (I got everything done).
Then in the afternoon it was the one of the casuals home time and the other permanent educators home time too, the other casual had to go to another room due to ratio, that left me (a trainee) with the other trainee (who has only been at our centre for three days) alone in the room, we only had 10 children and were in ratio but I asked the educator which was doing ratio if two trainees were allowed to be by themselves with children and she replied "well I don't have any other staff to put in the room instead".
I am confident enough and know enough to successful run the room by myself on occasions but I just wanted to make sure it was allowed, as I don't want to get in any trouble.

Lorina

Re: As a trainee can I be left in charge of the room?

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:05 pm

Hi!

Sounds like you are the right person for the position! As a trainee, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and managed to run the room without any issues! Great job!

For your question about trainees being left in charge, as per ACECQA requirements even though you are a trainee you can be counted towards a Cert 3 qualification. So, you are considered a Cert 3 for ratio purposes.

As a Cert 3, for ratio purposes, you can be left in charge of the room.

Here is some more information, for reference: Actively Working Towards A Qualification

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina