Am I too old for a traineeship ?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
vmor9896

Am I too old for a traineeship ?

Post by vmor9896 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for a career change and I've always wanted to be a Pre school teacher or child care worker.

I was thinking of doing a traineeship certificate 3 in child care... But I think I might be too old for this, Im 30 years old.

I do have the love and passion for children and in their education .I'm willing to commit to the traineeship.

Any advise ?

Veronica

Lorina

Re: Am I too old for a traineeship ?

Post by Lorina » Fri May 28, 2021 3:59 am

Hi Veronica,

No, you're not too old at all! I would definitely suggest taking on the traineeship, it will be a great experience for you and it will help you to learn from the centre you will be training with.

It sounds like you are eager to learn and you are passionate! So, follow through with what you love and please do join this industry. It's amazing what you'll learn from each individual child in your care!

I'm here to support you when needed!

:geek:,
Lorina

29emily

Post by 29emily » Fri May 28, 2021 11:35 am

Hi Lorina
I am too looking to change career. I am struggling to decide to make the leap. It's hard to start from scratch in my forties.

I have a postgraduate degree in primary school teaching and couple years classroom experience, but that was 10yrs ago. I am looking into doing a postgraduate diploma in early childhood and wondering a few things.

1) If I complete a postgraduate diploma in early childhood, what level will I be starting at? I don't really have experience with 0-6yr olds.

2) should I be able to get a casual position whilst studying for my postgraduate diploma, what rate should I be getting?

3) I've consulted the universities offering the postgrad dip, and they said this qualification is higher than a diploma and degree from Tafe. So I would be qualified as a room teacher. I'm wondering if this is true. As without experience, I don't think I would be hired as a room leader off the bat. I wouldn't have the confidence anyway.

4) lastly, are all educators mainly paid per hour rates or a salary? Are there different contracts (permanent full-time/part-time with super & benefits etc) ? Do educators get sick leave, paid term breaks?

Appreciate your time and advice 🙏
Thank you 😊

Regards

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat May 29, 2021 1:48 am

Just to say you're never too old, plus you'll have great life experiences to guide you in a really exciting career. It really is awesome to care for and educate the next generation :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 pm

29emily wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:35 am
Hi Lorina
I am too looking to change career. I am struggling to decide to make the leap. It's hard to start from scratch in my forties.

I have a postgraduate degree in primary school teaching and couple years classroom experience, but that was 10yrs ago. I am looking into doing a postgraduate diploma in early childhood and wondering a few things.

1) If I complete a postgraduate diploma in early childhood, what level will I be starting at? I don't really have experience with 0-6yr olds.

2) should I be able to get a casual position whilst studying for my postgraduate diploma, what rate should I be getting?

3) I've consulted the universities offering the postgrad dip, and they said this qualification is higher than a diploma and degree from Tafe. So I would be qualified as a room teacher. I'm wondering if this is true. As without experience, I don't think I would be hired as a room leader off the bat. I wouldn't have the confidence anyway.

4) lastly, are all educators mainly paid per hour rates or a salary? Are there different contracts (permanent full-time/part-time with super & benefits etc) ? Do educators get sick leave, paid term breaks?

Appreciate your time and advice 🙏
Thank you 😊

Regards
Hi,

Great to hear that you're looking at joining this industry as well!

In regards to your questions:

1. From what I understand once you completed your post graduate diploma you may be able to work as an ECT within a Childcare setting. This is only if you receive ECT position. If you do, you will most probably start at Level 2 (Educational Services Teachers Award). If you do not get an ECT position, you will be a room leader and will start at level 4.1 (Children's Services Award).

2. Until you finish 30% of the course, you will be considered as a Level 3A.1 (equivalent to a cert 3 educator assistant without a qualification). This is around $28.43/.

3. A Diploma Qualified educator can be a room leader as well as an ECT which will be what your qualified for. Depending on the service size, there is high demand for ECTs. They take on the same responsibilities as a Diploma Qualified educator however you will be implementing more theoretical practices, implementing a preschool curriculum, more intentional teaching etc. If you decide to do casual work this will be a good starting point to understand what you will need to do etc.

4. All Educators are paid hourly wages from the Children's Services Award 2010. The rates are based on your qualification, position and experience. You work as a casual/part time/ full time employee. You get sick leave, carers leave, parental leave, maternity leave, annual leave etc. You may be also eligible for allowances if you need to wear a uniform for example and you will also receive superannuation. When employed as an ECT, you will receive your rate from the Educational Services Teachers Award. Some services pay hourly while others a salary. You receive the similar benefits as those mentioned above. As for term breaks, Early Childhood Services are open throughout the year, usually only having 2 weeks off during Christmas vacation. If you work specifically for a Kindergarten/ Preschool they may have term breaks but this depends on the individual centre.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have! Happy to help!

Lorina

29emily

Post by 29emily » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Dear Lorina
Many thanks for your detailed reply. It is very informative and I'd have a hard time finding these information. So thank you.

I didn't realise there is a difference between a room leader and ECT. I assumed they are the same. Where can I find out a list of responsibilities for each position? Or just generally what the differences between the two?

Gratefully
Emily

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi Emily,

No problem glad I could help! :)

Diploma and ECT are similar however since ECT's have a degree you need to implement what you learnt in the degree in your job role compared to what a Diploma educator has learnt in their qualification.

Here is some more info:

ECT Qualified Educator Job Description

Diploma Qualified Educator Job Description

I'm here if you have any further questions!

Lorina

29emily

Post by 29emily » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi Lorina

That qualification of Postgrad diploma is quite confusing actually.

You mentioned the ECT requires a degree in Early childhood.
However the Postgrad diploma is offered to those who has a degree in any discipline, even not related to teaching.

So upon completion of the Postgrad diploma in early childhood, I am assuming that this is an equivalent diploma qualification.

However, the universities offering the course have all confirmed that this Postgrad diploma is in fact higher level than the bachelor degree in Early childhood...

I'm finding this hard to believe. :)

Is this Postgrad diploma qualification quite uncommon??
I would probably start with a diploma position or assistant ECT (if there's one?), but wonder if the qualification would be recognised for the ECT position in future if I wanted to.

Cheers!

Emily