ratios and family grouping

Educator to child ratios, ratios within a service, ratios with different ages etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ishy

ratios and family grouping

Post by ishy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi,

I have completed my certificate III and I have recently started my first job in childcare. I am finding some aspects very difficult and there are not many experienced staff where i am working and those that are experienced are not very helpful (if you look for help they treat you like you are dumb for not knowing the information). There is never any programming done, I am often unsure about what I am supposed to be doing and often I am left in charge of a room. It is the afternoons I find the most difficult. As I said there is never programming to follow and in the afternoons they do family grouping so all the children from the babies to the preschoolers are in the same room. How do we count ratio for this? It is very stressful as the children are just running around and none of the educators are really doing anything. I feel it is dangerous having the preschoolers running around the babies, especially as there are no activities set up for the children. But mostly I am confused about how they count the ratios. Also any ideas for activities/ games I could play with the children in the afternoons would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

EmilyJane

Re: ratios and family grouping

Post by EmilyJane » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:23 pm

Have you talked to other experienced staff? Sometimes you have to be direct with them and speak your mind, they might have a piece of advice that can share with you. When it comes to childcare, I think that it is smart to talk with the staff before you make some changes in the routine.

Lorina

Re: ratios and family grouping

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:08 pm

If children are bored they are more likely to run wild and this is when accidents occur. During family grouping, in the same room as the babies separate the preschoolers to one side of the room and provide them with some experiences. Maybe you could prepare some busy bags, read stories, play group games, do a group time with the older children... are you able to set up one half of the room for the preschool children to engage in activities?

:geek:,
Lorina