Play Based Learning ?? What is it??

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Play Based Learning ?? What is it??

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi
had an interview with a C & K Centre .... the Director said it was play-based learning....can someone explain what exactly this is and how it works.
she said it would probably seem very alien to me coming from a Montessori viewpoint in fact she said when she began after her degree it took her a while to get her head around it too
I do hope to get this job so just wanted a better understanding of this system & what to expect etc
The job was an assistant but she is aiming to hire me as a GL as she feels I would be wasted as an assistant... so how do you program etc for this type of system ?
Just want to do my HW in case I get the job then I dont go in so baffled by the whole thing!

Lorina

Re: Play Based Learning ?? What is it??

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey Fefe,

Play based learning is basically a child learning through play experiences and activities that you implement on your curriculum. I've attached some information that I have which hopefully will give you an idea on what play based learning is...

[attachment=1]valueofplay.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Play_In_Early_Childhood.pdf[/attachment]
Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:12 pm

awesome cheers L.A
I mean I understand the concept of how play can help a child etc but I just cant figure how one spends the whole day using "play" as learning! lol
Will read the docs ta
xxx

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Fefe and L.A,

Sorry, I've been MIA lately, I've had to move and I hate moving!! You never know how much stuff you have until you have to go through it all. Such a complete hassle. Still got boxes to go through but I can't be bothered. Anyways enough of my complaints. :giggle:

Fefe, I think you would find that most child care centers take a play based learning approach when teaching children. This doesn't mean offering random toys on a table it obviously has to have a purpose. Every toy and activity has to have a reason why you want to make it available to the children (I just had a quick glance through your posts and you are a Montessori teacher right, you said you provide Montessori materials, well like that but normally its different toys etc).

There are heaps of benefits a child gains through play, which include: explore the world – natural and social, develop and practise social and language skills that may be more complex than in
everyday activities, expand and challenge their physical skills, experiment with new ideas including symbolic competence required for formal learning, enhance their self-confidence, think and express themselves creatively, respond to experiences with or without language, develop their sense of self and identity etc.

So I hope you get a better understanding of how a child spends a whole day playing because in the end I think all children enjoy learning this way!

Oh I can't believe it's already Monday tomorrow. :thumbdown:

Have a good week,

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I do kind of understand it, I guess its like playing "shop" they get the real concept of money & buying & selling etc
I feel it would be a challange to me as it is something I have not experienced before.
In this system is there a specific Group Time? & time u do some non play learning?