New service/ kindy planning

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rosie123
Participator
Participator

New service/ kindy planning

Post by Rosie123 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi all,

Ok I am trying to get to grips with this Eylf. Have checked the tools out and definitely going to use them.

The problem I have is I know that most of the experiences should come from the children, families etc.
So having not started pre-kindy program (term 2) I do not have much information re children. so should I

1. do a pre planned week, my other teacher would like to plan everything and include all the school readiness skills, numbers, colours etc.

2. I was thinking along the lines of yes a program for the first week, but setting up lots of different environments eg, kitchen corner, writing corner, books, art, puzzles etc. Then observing children to see what they liked, and interact with them to find out their interests. Was also thinking of giving the parents a questionnaire re what they enjoy and maybe what the children did in the weekend did in the weekend before? What do you think and can you please give me some suggestions.

Can I use the tools to preplanned experiences?

thanks

Rosie123

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: New service/ kindy planning

Post by LindyT » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Rosie123 I like your ideas.

Could you have a sheet of paper up/ or a white board and ask the children what they might like to do next week and write it up on the board with the child's name next to it (Starts your programming trail)

Blocks, cars, dolls, books/stories, music, insects/bugs/dinos/farm/jungle animals home corner/dramatic play, play dough, bubbles, volcanos in the sand pit. They my sure fire interest grabbers

You can really add anything you need to the tools experience wise. Thats the beauty of it. It's open to your interpretation (sp?)

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you go.

Lorina

Re: New service/ kindy planning

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Rosie,

Anything pre-planned can be added onto the program as "Intentional Teaching". This can include school readiness skills, teaching shapes and numbers etc.

Setting up interests areas is a great way of breaking up the room and you could use interest areas to your advantage, also these interest areas could extend into the outdoor environment.

Also another thing to remember that sometimes on the program not all activities or pre planned experiences will go according to plan. What I mean is, throughout the day you will notice that children may request certain activities or a spontaneous experience occurs... During this time its important to focus on this than what's in the program. So, the program needs to be flexible. Any experiences that don't occur during the week can be "reprogrammed" for the following week if need be.

What interest areas have you set up? Are you able to get family feedback? Hows the programing going?

Just thought I'd throw in some pointers for you,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A