How is everyone finding the EYLF system

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

How is everyone finding the EYLF system

Post by Steffelz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey everyone, I thought it would be interesting to see everyones opinions on how you all find working using the EYLF system as opposed to the old system?
I myself have reservations with EYLF, but I am still giving it time to grow on me.
Whats your take?

Lorina

Re: How is everyone finding the EYLF system

Post by Lorina » Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 pm

In my opinion I guess the EYLF validates the activities and experiences that take place in a Childcare centre through the use of the Learning Outcomes. I think it gives us a different perspective of a child's  learning through reflecting and provides us with some "great phrases" to use when describing the learning that takes place throughout the day. I like that the learning outcomes are broken down into each category and can be used as a broad spectrum of goals rather than comparing a child to a developmental checklist.  Overall I think it's a good framework to have in Early Childhood centers and at least it tries to provides a standard that should be incorporated in all centers. 

Mandy b

Post by Mandy b » Mon May 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi , I am enjoying learning how to implement the new regulations plus the EYLF ,but must admit as a Family Daycare educator find the documentation and paperwork a bit much .At least in a centre you have varies staff members to manage the load . I do think it adds value to our teaching and provides parents with a better understanding of how "only playing" attitude is actually for a greater purpose and benefits the development of their child.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I am enjoying the EYLf. I find it quite refreshing, but I have exactly the opposite issue to Mandy. I teach Kindy (which in WA is part of the Educational system -similar to Prep in other states (4yo) & I have to tie in the play / eylf side of things whilst still being required to demonstrate educational outcomes for the children.
This can be a fine line sometimes and I really find I am not getting time to simply observe the children at play. perhaps as I get more used to meshing together the two requirements it will get easier.
CAthie

rachelroo

Post by rachelroo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 pm

One of my favourite comments I have read on the EYLF is in relation to "being" and it said:
"Being recognises the significance of the here and now in children's lives. It is about the present and them knowing themselves, building and maintaining relationships with others, engaging lifes joys and complexities and meeting the challenges of everyday life.
The early childhood years are not soley preparation for the future but also about the present"

I think educators are not letting go of the old way of doing things and seem to be doing all the old things as well as the EYLF...making more work for themselves.
It,s all about getting down to the childrens level and co-constructing learning, we as educators need to also experience being able to enjoy the present and to be playful...how can you do that when doing 4 hours of paper work a day??

Where I work we have set areas that have the same things out every day eg. construction area has wooden blocks, train set, wooden people, cars, a variety of blocks in containers set up on a shelf so the children can self select what they will play with.
There is no need to plan for and evaluate EVERY area every day , only where there has been extention of learning and co-construction and intentional teaching, this is usually only a few things a day above and beyond the areas set up the same way every day.
Yet reading these forums people are still doing daily plans of the whole room and all activities done by the children, doing time wasting endless paper work when they could be spending this time "being " with the children.
Is this is what the EYLF is really all about?
In my opinion from what I have read about it , it is not. I do less than half the paperwork I used to before the EYLF,I am spending my time interacting with the children and guiding their play. I am really enjoying working this way, it is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. :thumbup:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm

It,s all about getting down to the childrens level and co-constructing learning, we as educators need to also experience being able to enjoy the present and to be playful...how can you do that when doing 4 hours of paper work a day??
This is so very true.

I dedicate the great part of my day with the children and no more than 30 mins a day on paperwork. If it can't be done in that time then it just doesn't get done. Having said that our scheme is really focussed on the work being manageable for each Educator. So do a lot more than others but in the end it's about enjoying the children and their journey.

I love EYLF it's what Early Childhood should be.