Would Like To Interview An Experienced Educator

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jaci

Would Like To Interview An Experienced Educator

Post by Jaci » Tue May 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi, I have just begun my Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care, and for my first assignment need to interview (email) an experienced practitioner. Would anyone be able to help me out with this?
Thanks!!
Last edited by Lorina on Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Help - interview for Diploma

Post by Lorina » Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 am

You can add the interview question here (in this post) and I can probably help you out with them...

:geek:,
L.A

Jaci

Re: Would Like To Interview An Experienced Educator

Post by Jaci » Thu May 22, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks!
Interview regarding the NQF

How was the NQF introduced to you and the staff in your service?

Did any of you have any issues understanding any of it, and how did you get around these?

What changes have you had to make/things have you had to put in place to ensure compliance with the National Law, Regulations and NQS?

In terms of QA1 – educational program and practice, how are you able to demonstrate that each child is supported to participate in the program (1.1.5)? (pick a different one if you want!)

How have the Law, Regulations and National Quality Standard effected your service? Eg reflection, documentation, notes on individual children…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 24, 2014 4:58 am

How was the NQF introduced to you and the staff in your service?

Our director had left some information sheets in the staff room about the upcoming changes. At the staff meeting we were told in detail about the NQF and what it means for us, children, families and our centre. We were also given the ACECQA website which we can get more information if we wanted to. Each month when we had our staff meeting we went over each of the quality areas and how our centre may be assessed against it taking into consideration what we already do. It was a great opportunity for all of us to come work together in order to maintain a high level of quality care for the children and families.
Did any of you have any issues understanding any of it, and how did you get around these?

The Guide to the NQS is pretty self-explanatory and it also gives details on what assessors will be looking for under each of the quality areas. That really assisted up in understanding what our centre has and needs, which we used as a basis. At the beginning the hardest part was understanding and implementing the EYLF. As a group we read each outcome and reflected on what we already do through our curriculum planning and made changes to our program to reflect the EYLF. Getting parent input, extending on children's interest, evaluating at the end of the day was an area that we had to work on and change within our program.
What changes have you had to make/things have you had to put in place to ensure compliance with the National Law, Regulations and NQS?

For compliance of the Regulations and Law changes that had to made included:
- Educator to Child Ratios
- Having certified supervisors
- Having an educational leader
- Employing more ECT's
- All staff to obtain a minimum cert 3 qualification
- Certified supervisors to complete a course in child protection

For compliance of the NQS changes made included:
- Providing experiences that promote children's interest when they occur
- Support children's understanding and learning in nature, science and mathematics
- Create opportunities for intentional teaching
- Enable children to make informed choices and decisions
- Discuss health and safety issues with children
- Providing separate area for children who do not sleep for quiet activities
- Planned outdoor experiences
- Re-design outdoor area to include more natural elements
- Educators to be more engaged in children's play
In terms of QA1 – educational program and practice, how are you able to demonstrate that each child is supported to participate in the program (1.1.5)? (pick a different one if you want!)

Each child is supported through the program by:
- being able to participate as part of the group
- Being encouraged and supported for their efforts
- Educators being aware of guidance or attention needed by the individual child
- Guiding their behaviour and listening to their concerns
- Creating an inclusive environment of equipment and resources that support the diversity of children within the centre
How have the Law, Regulations and National Quality Standard effected your service? Eg reflection, documentation, notes on individual children…

One of the biggest changes that the NQS has made to our service is educators understanding the importance of evaluating and reflecting on the learning that has occurred, on individual development, on the experiences planned as this sets a path way on how we as educators can make each child into capable learners.

I hope this provides you with enough information which you can use for your interview,

Good Luck with the rest of your assignment,
L.A

Jaci

Post by Jaci » Sat May 24, 2014 11:25 am

Thankyou so much, it has been hard trying to find someone to do this!!! Would you mind telling me your qualification or experience? Just to put in my reference.. I hope this is ok? I don't need to write your name or anything.
:)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 25, 2014 5:51 am

My pleasure! I'm glad I could help!!!

I'm Diploma qualified with 10 years experience (and counting :lol:)

L.A

Jaci

Post by Jaci » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi,
Next assignment needs an interview as well! Would you please be able to help out again? All about reflective practice this time.
Just got the last assignment back with a credit :) Thanks so much for your help!

Questions relating to you and your colleagues..
What does reflective practice mean to you?
How do you engage in reflective practice?
What tools/techniques do you use?
What type of reflection do you find most effective for improving your practice?
What are some examples of changes you have made through reflection? Ie set up, activities, communication, behaviour management, documentation…

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 am

Awesome Job! :thumbup:
What does reflective practice mean to you?

It enables me stop and think about what I am doing and why I am doing it. Analyse my decision making based on my knowledge of the NQS and think about how I can improve practice.
How do you engage in reflective practice?

Once a week in regards to the "curriculum plan" and each day in regards to the "daily diary".
What tools/techniques do you use?

I have a set of questions that I answer (these can be seen in our Online Tools page, in Reflection of Our Day & Curriculum Plan templates (check sample)).
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/o ... plates.php
What type of reflection do you find most effective for improving your practice?

Answering a specific set of questions based on my overall practice enables me to provide specific examples on my practice. It enables to think over the day/week and gin insight to what changes need to be made or what has worked well during the week. My teaching strategies also improve based on the questions asked. However, when answering these questions I need to be honest and take the time to reflect on what it's asking.
What are some examples of changes you have made through reflection? Ie set up, activities, communication, behaviour management, documentation…

- For group time on Wednesdays (more children) split the group into 2. Discuss with room staff before hand on discussions during group time.
- Older toddlers to accompany younger toddlers during transitions
- Create an outdoor music centre
- Update emails from all room parents
- Photocopy reflections of our day and add to each child's bag to take home
- Try to refrain fro saying don't and no. All room staff to use encourgaing phrases with all children.

Hope this helps,

L.A

richardsmith

Post by richardsmith » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Jaci wrote:Hi, I have just begun my Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care, and for my first assignment need to interview (email) an experienced practitioner. Would anyone be able to help me out with this?
Thanks!!
I am a experienced educator so if you still need to take an interview ,you can take mine.

Jaci

Post by Jaci » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 pm

All done now, thankyou.
Thanks both of you for your help!!!