the interview's blues!

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

the interview's blues!

Post by dulciean » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 pm

hello ! well those of you on the forum regularly will remember i ended last year with a bang- losing my job all of a sudden and feeling pretty dazed and confused as a result! i took it pretty hard, had to do alot of self-analysis and reflection. i even questioned if i shouldnt just leave the industry altogether...
anyhow, i've been making good use of my time -i have only 4 units of my Diploma to go-so that feels pretty good! it also means my employment opportunities will be much wider.
of course- being a lady of leisure' has its limits- namely FINANCIAL!! so i have been applying for jobs- though they seem to be thin on the ground in the Sydney area. I had an interview today- i hate interviews and never feel i can get myself across properly!
i have another on thursday,and one next tuesday. What is your best piece of advice- just one little thing- you can give to people like me and others doing the interview rounds? i am not young- but it never stops being daunting! :o :wtf:
i always seem to say something that seems so silly in retrospect!
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Supporting Childcare Workers forum

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: the interview's blues!

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 pm

All I can say is be yourself and let your personality show... don't be afraid to have a laugh and chat about other things.
Make sure you email a thank you to your interviewers the next day, I always do it and it is a tip I got a long time ago and is a very small thing that can set you apart from others.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I've had my fair share of interviews and it never gets any easier! I don't know why but I get so nervous... always thinking I'm going to say something silly, even though I have my fair share of experiences I still feel this way!

On my interviews, along with my resume I always take a portfolio of my work. For e.g. photos of room setup's, displays, reflections, curriculum samples, learning stories that are my ideas and my originals... Just a folder of what I have to offer. It makes me comfortable and puts me at ease during the interview showing my portfolio and explaining what it is all about. It kinda gives a perspective of what I'm capable of and what I have to offer, rather than me just talking myself up. :giggle:

I'm very happy to hear that you are finishing off your diploma! It will definitely will give you more options when choosing work! I'm surprised to hear that Sydney doesn't have much to offer... I know it's hard though trying to find a good centre close to home or even in the surrounding suburbs. Job hunting is such a hassle...

It's good that you are giving yourself plenty of options while you're job hunting. I always seem to take the first job that is offered to me, rather than keep my options open to see what else is available. If you have a few options available to you, then you can figure out which centre best suits you and make your decision... Sometimes it seems a job is taken too quickly, without thinking and then later you regret it... so it's good to keep your options open!

It may take time but you'll find something! It's always the go, you think nothing will turn up but in the end you'll be surprised!

Wish you all the very best!

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for the input fefe76 and LA
I like the idea of emailing a thank you after an interview- will do that next time. And I will also put together a sample folder of my work to show at interviews.
I feel that the role of Certificate III is becoming obselete in that the expectations are the same as a Diploma trained educator. That's fine because I have experience in programming etc. however it just seems the jobs are becoming the same!
LA- yeah I'm surprised at the lack of work in Sydney at the moment. I'm noticing a lot for trainees, and also short term and maternity cover contracts. Then it jumps over to ECT's. :roll:
But I am a determined soul and will just keep digging around for a job that is mutually beneficial!

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Dulciean

Just wanted to add I am in a simular boat. I live in Sydney and am currently looking for a job. Everyone keeps saying to me the child care industry is booming and there are so many jobs avaliable but I havn't seen it yet. I also have my cert III, and find there are so little assistant jobs. ANyways I have a interview on Thursday I am so nervous about but the tips from L.A. and fefe are really helpful. Hope your interviews go well Dulciean.

Macoola

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks for the reply Macoola. Glad to know I'm not imagining the lack of Cert III positions in Sydney. I think they are mostly absorbed by trainee positions. I guess it's to be expected with all the new regulations in place re qualifications. I think you are also studying your Diploma? Best of luck with your job search too, we need it! :giggle:

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks Dulciean

Yes I am also studying my diploma I am a bit over half way through, so now as far along as you. Let me know how your job searchig goes. Best wishes.

Thanks

Macoola

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Macoola and Dulciean,

Was wondering how both of did at the job interview? All The Best,

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:32 am

Hi An Educator
I believe Macoola got a great job and as for me I'm being fussy but it looks like I might have a part time job with a good centre. It's hard cause I very nearly have my Diploma but am looking at Cert III jobs. Thinking I should just wait till I'm qualified and then look at room leader positions!

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

Just dropping in to update- I have accepted a part time position with a fantastic centre in the Sydney CBD. I hope to use my time there to sharpen my skills and finish off my Diploma ( management units) am so looking forward to being on the floor again. The last experience I had really affected me- hopefully this will serve to rebuild my confidence. So relieved to be employed again!! :kiss:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Dulciean,

Congratulations on your new job! :clap:

I really hope this gives you back the confidence you need to get back into the swing of things again.

All the best!

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:59 pm

YAY congrats
Good luck with it
Let us know how it is going

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks LA and fefe for the support - it's really been a big help!
I enjoyed my first few shifts, and seem to ' fit' better with the demographic in the city . Have 3 days work this week, so its looking good. :thumbup:

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am

Sorry An Educator for the late reply what dulcien said about my job is correct, I did get a great job.

Al so congrats Dulciean, I am so happy to hear you got a position in a good centre. I hope this will be a great experience for you unlike the last time.

Macoola

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 am

Hi Macoola hope all is going well with the job. Update- well my hard work has paid off, I have been working as a casual for about 4 weeks, and last week the Director offered me a full time job working in the Preschool Room ( my favorite!) I am so happy at this Centre it's just such a positive experience. I'm on cloud 9 : )

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Dulciean I am so glad to hear everything worked out for you that is great. My job is going great too I am really enjoying it. Thanks for keeping my posted.

Macoola

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun May 19, 2013 8:12 am

Update again- well life moves in mysterious ways! A vacancy came up at work for a full time position in the pre school room and my director offered it to me. Hooray- I've been in there full time for 2 weeks. This job is the complete opposite of my last experience, everybody is so positive and professional . A good reminder for others that its not the job itself that causes problems often its the Centre. So don't give up hope! :thumbup:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 am

Hi guys I just thought I'd pop a copy of the thank you email I use so that others many have an idea of what is out there.

Dear (name of interviewer - It is ideal to send one individually to each panel member)

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me today. As a result of our discussion, I am even more convinced that the position of (Job title) is exactly the challenge that I am seeking.

In consideration of my comprehensive experience in Early Childhood at (Where you currently work) I believe I have the direct and relevant skill set necessary for me to succeed in the position and make a positive contribution to your service.

I would welcome the opportunity to become a part of (Name of service or centre you are applying to). Thank you again for your consideration and I look forward to meeting with you again.

Your name

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Good to hear you got a new job, Dulciean. What happened to you before was seriously unfair and I'm glad to hear you're back working and in a much better centre.

All the best of luck with the new job and the diploma.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Thank you NorthLights- I still have ' scars' from that terrible experience, but am feeling far better now I am at a centre I feel I can really make a difference at. And only one module left in the Diploma. Phew! Feels like I have been studying it forever- but admittedly I have done it in spurts lol!