No Current References For Job Interview

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

No Current References For Job Interview

Post by law92 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me. I have an interview coming up at a ldc for a relief position. Will they ask for references? I am unable to get a reference from the last ldc I worked for, I'm not sure why. I've missed out on heaps of other cc jobs I've been to interviews before because my previous ldc employer just refuses to give me a reference and won't return potential employers phone calls for reference checks. which is really slack. my current OSHC employer doesn't give out references, only a confirmation of employment. So will this confirmation of employment be enough? I've also got 2 personal character references. I really want this job as I am hating working on OSHC and want to get back to working with young children. What should I do about the reference situation?
Also, does anyone have any interview tips?
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: References for interview

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 am

I was kinda in the same situation you are in. My previous employer also failed to mention that they don't give references so when I asked for one when I left I was told that they only do confirmation of employment. I was kinda upset because I assumed that it would be difficult to get another job without a reference and I was employed at the centre for a year and they still wouldn't do a reference.

However, this wasn't a problem. While going for job interviews I explained that my previous employer only did confirmation of employment and I was told that when ringing they will talk to the director just to confirm how long I worked there for. I was still able to get a job even though I didn't have any references. In my resume folder I also have character references, references from parents/families and references from employment since I've been working in Childcare. So if you can include these, it will be helpful as well.

I understand that it is important to give a reference however I really don't think it's fair to rely solely on how someone did at their previous job. For example if you left on bad terms or let's just say your previous director had it in for you this can really stuff up your chances of getting a job in the future. I also found that with references most of the time within a couple of months they are unreachable, which is really embarrassing for us while we are trying to get a job.

Don't worry too much, it will be fine!

Hope all goes well,

:geek:,
L.A

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: No Current References For Job Interview

Post by law92 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:05 am

Hi thanks for your reply. I just want to let you know how I'm going now.

I went for a job interview about 2 weeks ago and the director seemed keen I was getting on quite well with her. Towards the end of the interview she mentioned that she would want me to meet the centre manager. I gave her a list of references, 2 character references and my former employer who only gives a confirmation of employment which I didn't mention to her.
She said that she wants to make a decision about the position as soon as possible as they are short staffed and have staff going on holidays soon. She was even working in a room herself they were that short staffed. I then sent her a thank you email later that afternoon to say thank you for taking the time to meet with me and that I look forward to hearing from her in the future.

A week later, I phoned the centre to see how my application was progressing. The director said that they are still interviewing people and that she would email me to let me know. This week it will be 3 weeks from my interview and she has not yet contacted my references. Should I be worried? I dont want to ring up again in case it might make me seem desperate, but at the same time I can't wait around until they make a decision as I want to start my diploma before the end of the month. So I'm thinking of enrolling in my diploma this week, and just asking the director if I can do my work placement at her centre?

I haven't heard anything about the job and my references haven't been contacted yet, so maybe i have missed out on the job?
Or maybe they are just being slow at making a decision. I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere with my child care career, and want to start doing something about it.
If i dont get this job, my plan is to get most of my diploma done this year, finish the rest of it early next year then return to uni next year, hopefully for a semester 1 start. If I have to just do a work placement, I'm hoping that the centre might offer me some sort of relief work when I've nearly finished the diploma.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of the job.