Job Trail Tips and Advice!

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Courtney1994

Job Trail Tips and Advice!

Post by Courtney1994 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of completing my Cert III and I've been sending my resume out to centres and I just had an interview today which went well enough for them to ask me to come in this week for a trial. I have been on placement in kindy and toddler rooms so i'm very comfortable in those areas, I just want any tips that might make it a little less nerve wracking! Should I just do what I've been doing at placement, interacting with the children and making sure to help the educators where ever I can (lunch/cleaning etc)?

Its 2 hours and they haven't said where they'll put me, also this centre has a full uniform (black pants, black shoes and their staff shirts) should I just dress similar? The centre I have had placement at is very casual with their uniform.

Any other tips or advice on job trails will be so very appreciated!!

Courtney1994

Re: Job Trial Tips and Advice!

Post by Courtney1994 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm

autocorrect strikes again, TRIAL not trail haha my bad!

Lorina

Re: Job Trail Tips and Advice!

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Congratulations on your next step!

Yes, basically during the trial they want to see how well you interact with the children as well as the Educators within the room. Show initiative, offer to do tasks (such as cleaning up after lunch etc). Also, it's a good idea to talk to the Educators within the room and see how programming and planning are done etc.

The following ideas may help:

Listen to what your room leader and fellow staffs tell you.
Show initiative.
Greet parents with a smile.
Introduce yourself to families.
During pickups, if the room leader is busy, talk to parents briefly about what their child did during the day.
If a parent has questions or concerns with their child, direct them to the room leader.
Behave in a mature manner and use appropriate language.
Be polite and communicate clearly.
Have a positive attitude, show interest and enthusiasm.
Respect the centre’s guidelines, follow policies and procedures.
Listen carefully and follow all instructions.
Be punctual and on time.
Arrive 15 minutes before your due to start.
If you are running late, ring the centre and advise them.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
If you don’t understand something or don’t know what to do ask the room leader.
If you have any concerns or problems speak to the room leader or centre director.
Wash your hands regularly throughout the day.
Use gloves when handling food, wiping noses etc.
Report any accidents/incidents to a staff member immediately.
Clean up spills etc.
Become familiar with the centre’s health and safety procedures.

As for the uniform, yes dress similar!

You will do great!!

Good Luck and Have fun!

:geek:,
Lorina

Courtney1994

Re: Job Trial Tips and Advice!

Post by Courtney1994 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks for that Lorina!

I ended up getting the job and I start Monday! Its 15-28hrs a week, with a 4 week trial period then a contract after that. I'm assuming I'll have some paperwork and things to sign for the 4 week trial period on Monday?

Very excited and a bit nervous. Going to have to be super organised with my studies and working at the same time!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Congratulations! That’s fantastic!

Regarding paperwork make sure you take your TFN (tax file number), also copies of your first aid certificate , and your qualifications - sometimes they may need to photocopy them for records - if u already have super maybe those details as well - that’s probably it...

Enjoy your first day! And the rest of the week!

:geek:,
Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:26 pm

Hello,

Normally, in job trials, they want to see if you have enough passion, perseverance, pragmatism, patience, and flexibility. So, the things you have learned during the course, remember those and be confident, interactive, and always have positive body language and a smile on your face.

In your trial days, show your communication skills, be interactive, show your interpersonal skill, try to initiate communication, and be attentive to the minutes of your class, ask your room leader but also help her in decision making.

Apart from these, be careful about the general responsibilities such as

Supervising and monitoring the safety of children.
Preparing and organizing mealtimes and snacks for children.
Helping children to keep good hygiene.
Organizing activities or implementing a curriculum that allows children to learn about the world and explore their interests.

Hope this will help you.

All the best for your future

Thanks

Nandita