Job Interview For Nursery Room

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
jessmercer

Job Interview For Nursery Room

Post by jessmercer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Hello,
I have a silly question.
I am going for a job interview that I am highly interested in for a nursery room. I have been a lead ed for over 12 months now and in a challenging room. The center is looking for someone with experience in that particular area which I don't have but do have lots ogf knowledge and willingness to learn. Are their any tips that you might have in running a nursery?
Thanks in advance :)
Jess
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

wimble
Participator
Participator

Re: A job interview

Post by wimble » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:56 pm

What age have you worked with previously? Do you have any experience with babies? Do you know how to use a bottle warmer? What is the handling procedure for bottled breast milk vs formula? What are some of the developmental milestones of children 0-6 months? These are some questions you may be asked, it is one thing to say you have a willingness to learn but babies require a lot of experience (and patience) particularly if you are looking to be a nursery room leader. As room leader you will be required to establish all aspects of each child's routine (multiple sleeps, bottle times, nappies), educational program (observing, reflecting, documenting) as well as liasing with parents in terms of daily experiences, mood, well-being etc as well as doing reports (developmental summaries) and interviews twice a year. Perhaps you have the knowledge to do the job but without any experience in a nursery I wouldn't be hiring you as a room leader (as a 2IC maybe).

Lorina

Re: Job Interview For Nursery Room

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:14 am

How did the interview go?

Just wanting to add... Running a nursery room is very hands on and it will keep you on your toes. You will have babies at all different abilities and you will need to cater for them. Some will only be able to crawl, others are just learning to walk and then there are those babies that can't do neither. Within the room the experiences you set up will need to cater for all the different stages of development for the children in the room. The younger babies will have a different routine and so will the older babies so you will need to cater for each individual child. The most important thing is that you need to establish a very positive relationship with each parent.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:19 am

Forgot to mention as well...

You need to be able to handle a crying baby. At times you can have your hands full and have more than one baby crying at a time which you should be able to handle emotionally yourself without getting frustrated or annoyed. Typically with babies once one starts it usually sets the others off so it's good to have a few distractions around to get the children settled. Squeaky toys, ringing a bell, singing a nursery rhyme, blowing bubbles etc. these all may help to settle a crying baby. However, if a child starts crying you should always check whether they need to be changed, fed or put to bed first....

:geek:,
Lorina

jessmercer

Post by jessmercer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 am

The trial went really well :) even with crying babies and being super busy my room of 22 kids is much more challenging. I'm hoping that I've got it :) if not it's not meant to be.
Thanks for your advise
:)

Alhena120

Post by Alhena120 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 am

Here are some common interview questions. hope that offers some help

1. Tell me something about yourself?
2. What are your strength and weaknesses?
3. Why should we hire you?
4. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
5. How much salary do you want?
6. Why do you want to join this company?
7. Do you have any questions for us?
8. Why do you wish to leave your current employer? /Why did you leave your last job?
9. What are your hobbies?
10. What are your biggest accomplishments?