Interview For First Time In Child Care

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kirst76

Interview For First Time In Child Care

Post by kirst76 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi , After being in aged care for 13 years I finally decided to leave and follow through with childcare something I have wanted to do for so long, my kids are now older so I feel it was the right time . I am currently studying the diploma. Now I have applied for a couple of jobs and actually have interviews and I must say I am a little bit nervous as to what they may ask and expect of me. I am trying not to freak out.. I have been to many interview but all in aged care which I am skilled at. With childcare I have no centre experience as yet , I have experience with my own children , nieces, nephews ect .. So any advice someone has would be great. Thankyou :-)

Pri82

Re: Interview For First Time In Child Care

Post by Pri82 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello , nice to know someone is where I am lol, hey just curious don't u have to do any placements for 240 hours .
I am doing diploma as well I have to do placement I m in Queensland Brisbane .
I was a medical admin myself and due to the late hours and no set time to finish I had to stop to give priority to my son . He is 2 yrs and he also goes to day care .
I will start my placement on 21 st nov in one of the childcare near my house .
Thank you

kirst76

Post by kirst76 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi, I am also in Brisbane , Morayfield area :-), who do you study through, is yours in class or online .Yes I do have to do 240 hours I just haven't started doing my hours yet and I was hoping I would be able to gain work and do some of my hours that way. If I don't gain employment obviously I will look more into finding a day care near home to do my hours.:-) Are you very far into your course?

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Post by burgerbunz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi guys! Will jump in here- I'm from Tassie, but anyway...

I had an interview a few weeks back (I've applied for many, and this was a first for an interview- and I got the job too, so must have done something right). They asked me a lot about the NQF and NQS, absolutely nothing about the EYLF! ha ha!! They gave me situations and asked how I would deal with it. They also asked what my personal philosophy was and why- hmmmm, trying to remember. It was very friendly and causal. OH they asked about emergent curriculum and how I would 'work' with this...how I would document children's learning...other things like where did I want to be in a year, 5 years, 10 years etc. I made sure I had a few questions for them (they threw in the fact they ran a bush kinder during the interview, which gave me so many angles to ask questions, as I've never seen one, been in one- I've only read about them)- i made sure i tried to find an angle to initiate a conversation, so the person asking the questions stated she'd just been to Darwin to an early childhood conference, so we got talking about that- and that launched into approaches in Scandinavia etc which was really good!

Advice: Know the EYLF, NQF and the standards (not by heart, but have a basic understanding what it is and why it's there). Know what you are passionate about and be prepared to talk about it (mine is disability and inclusion and early childhood approaches from Scandinavia- I know...yeah...ok!!!). Have some questions which test them too! Go through situations in your head (remember ones from your workbooks or that lecturers/tutors brought up- what would YOU do and why). Have a personal philosophy and know it inside out and back to front!! ;) Persist!!! I've been applying for jobs for about 2 years. This was, I thought a bit beyond me, but I gave it a go, and I got it- so just never know!!!!

Best of luck- I find it SO hard to study, raise my own children, and work too!! I only study part time, and now work part time (vs casual- I was in disability before this which has had its benefits)- I find keeping a very set daily planner of what I'm doing helps too- and I write things that interest me so I can investigate further.

Amanda

kirst76

Post by kirst76 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks so much Amanda :-) and good luck to you also

Pri82

Post by Pri82 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks Amanda ,
Hello kirst76 I am on the south side .
I have been called by one agency but my friends suggested do 2 days work and do 1 day work placement near my house .
This way I will get some money in and also finish my work placement .
Other friend suggested do 2-3 days placement n finish it asap n get it out of the way .
So not sure what I m going to do haha . I am doing my course from new England college wollongabba
Keep in touch nice to know someone from Brisbane .
Thanks
Pri