Disclosing Illness to Potential Employers?

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
indego
Participator
Participator

Disclosing Illness to Potential Employers?

Post by indego » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 pm

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer last year, and was promptly made redundant with no entitlements by my employer. (Yes, I've been to the union, yes it was illegal... but apparently there's still nothing that can be done.)
I'm ecstatic to say I'm through treatment, and have as close to a clean bill of health as I'm going to get. I'm just waiting on the all clear to return to work, because my doctors want to make sure my immune system is working again before they let me near kids.

I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are regarding the disclosure of my reasons for taking extended leave from work to potential employers?

I've got a few other health issues banging around, and I have always had a policy of disclosing them before I commit to a job... But I have to admit, if I was the one hiring, I would be pretty hesitant employing someone so close to cancer treatment. (I'm also aware of all the laws saying that I shouldn't take it into account... But realistically, health plays such a massive part of working with kids that I think pretty much all employers would take it into account.)

Would you disclose your health? Or would you go with the "I took personal leave," and just let them guess at the reason? (Which I feel is pretty obvious considering my current hair...)

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Disclosing Illness to Potential Employers?

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Indego,
If I was sure that I was in the clear and confident that I could capably return to work I would keep it to myself.
You aren't starting a new job half way or at the beginning of your treatment.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave:

indego
Participator
Participator

Post by indego » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I applied for a job completely on a whim (to good an offer to pass up, after school care coordinator with 15 hours admin), given I applied well before I was planning to return to work (and before the return of eyebrows and hair, lol) I put it in my cover letter that I was recovering from chemo and wouldn't be able to start til May.
Totally was expecting them just to put my resume in the bin...

I got the bloody job :shock:

I'm not starting til May, and they're 100% ok with me taking whatever sick leave I might need for testing and any further surgery I might need...

Totally gob smacked still, lol

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi Indigo,
I am gob smacked too :wtf: ...... well that shows there are still some decent people out there. I am so happy for you :thumbup:
All the best in May, not long now