Why is the department so stupid?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Why is the department so stupid?

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Is my centre too smart or is the department just stupid? We had a spot check recently and being under staffed as usual a few phone calls were made and within minutes staff appeared who didn't even work there. Many other things could have been found if the department actually did a proper job. Has anyone else had this type of experience? The checks just aren't thorough enough in my opinion. I had also done placement at one where all the broken toys were hidden until the department left.

Lorina

Re: Why is the department so stupid?

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 am

I often wondered the same thing! There are all these regulations, laws and standards that need to be followed and are strictly put into place yet sometimes these get overlooked by the assessors during spot checks and accreditation etc. I think it really depends on the individual assessor. There are some assessors who turn a blind eye to the small things and then there are those who note down each and every little occurrence. At previous centres I remember during spot checks we would all be notified and have to be extra cautious. Such as all staff wearing hats outside, wearing gloves during meal times, making sure the ratios were covered at all times etc.

Even during a spot check which usually lasts a couple of hours all documentation, records etc has to be thoroughly checked. I don't understand how you were able to get extra staff in so quickly without the proper documentation put in place such as staff records, rosters etc. Isn't that illegal? Spot checks aren't not to get the centre into trouble but rather help the centre to understand what is required of them in order for them to follow correct regulations and laws. I'm sure assessors have a check list of some sort that they sign off on once they have seen evidence within the centre etc. Maybe this check list needs to be improved to make sure assessors are seeing everything!

You know what I'd make a good assessor! I would know exactly where to look and what I need to look for. I'll be feared among all centres in my zone! HAHAHAHAHA :giggle:

It sucks that this happens especially when you know that the centre isn't up to the mark yet it passes with flying colours...

Very frustrating,

:geek:,
L.A

Barbie
Participator
Participator

Post by Barbie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 am

They clearly just ask and tick without even checking same goes for when they ask what qualifications we have.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Absolutely agree. I don't even understand the point for spot checks and accreditation when they are not done properly! Every time we have one it gets all our staffs stressed out, we try and do so much to cover up the lack of standards and running around here and there to make sure everything is right. It's ridiculous. In the end when the assessor comes I see them chit chat with the director for awhile, look around the centre briefly and go to get a cup of coffee. I can see atleast 10 things wrong and the assessor not seem to worry about it. Is this what happens to everyone? What the point if the assessors can't be bothered doing their job right? Maybe we need a spot checks for assessors.

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:53 pm

I am shocked that my old workplace even passed.

thomasvanleeuwen

Post by thomasvanleeuwen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm

this is just nonsence, absolutely rediculous!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Don't even get me started. I am appalled with what the Dept do (or do not rather), because of them shoddy services stay open and keep providing substandard care.

I had someone come through and look at things, but then the non compliance list missed a lot of the things they saw...I am deeply disappointed at them, certain centres just need to be shut down and the Dept should man up and just do it, get rid of these people who run "businesses' and are in it for $$$$ and nothing else. They care nothing of the children or staff, they just want numbers because it means money and they disregard everything that early childhood education stands for and give everyone else a bad name