Why I quit childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Chrissy31

Why I quit childcare

Post by Chrissy31 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 am

Hello everyone! Here is my story about why I quit working in childcare...
Working in childcare made me feel amazing, being surrounded by happy little children and teaching them how to be great people was extremely rewarding. I used to love being in charge of a room, keeping all the paperwork up to date, planning activities everyday to make those little ones happy, talking to lovely parents, being a role model for students and signing their placement books.
But why did I quit my passion? Because of work environment.
I have worked in 4 centers throughout 8 years, and it's the same everywhere.
How people working with children can be so unprofessional and disrespectful? It supposed to be a beautiful job, we supposed to be happy, respect the children in our care, respect our colleagues, etc. It's not an normal office job, it's childcare!
I came to Australia many years ago. I'm white and I have excellent English level. Even like that, everywhere I worked I have suffer discrimination from my colleagues. Mocking my accent and treating me like I had chicken pox. Assistants who refused to do what I have asked them to do, assistants giving me orders and laughing at me when talking and pretended not to understand my English. I have even been pushed by colleagues 3 times. This is not only me, I could write down a book with names of foreigners colleagues that have experienced discrimination.
I have seen so many times aggressive behaviors that's unbelievable. Smacking children, yelling at them, grabbing those little arms, giving them time out, etc. And directors do not do anything to stop this. Maybe they are also scared of employee's behavior too, who knows!
I'm not. But I decided to put an end to this, because it kept affecting my personal life.
I have met beautiful educators through the years who have a truly passion for childcare, as I do, but there are not too many of us.
I'm scared, I'm scared one day I will have to send my child to childcare and I do not want her to see how some people abused non native speakers people. I'm scared my baby girl would copy their behavior. I'm scared she would get hurt or in trouble, in a place she supposed to be secure, comfortable and happy.

I'm not just part of a bad experience, I have gave it a go many times, but unfortunately, the story is the same.

I'm sure everyone in this forum are beautiful people who works for passion more than for money. Thanks for trying to improve everyday at work and for sharing a smile with those little souls.

Chrissy

Lorina

Re: Why I quit childcare

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Chrissy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

I feel for you, I feel for those educators who dedicate their lives to work in this industry, I feel for those educators who are bullied and tormented by others, I feel for those Educators who walk out and leave their passion behind!

You are absolutely right that Educators will torment one another, they discriminate against others, they are verbal and emotionally abusive to others and more. It's disgusting what goes on between Educators and what Parents don't see they don't know about. It's happening more and more often and more so against Educators from other diversities.

What's the point of having inclusive practices when Educators themselves and intolerable?

It's sad, it's frustrating, it's unethical but it's common!

I'm sorry that you left! I'm sorry that you are scared for your daughter!

It's just an unfortunate situation...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:50 pm

There are so many stories like you have shared... A lot of educators have come forward to me and on this forum itself to vent their frustration about this industry and what they have experienced. Before we stand up for more pay or equal pay shouldn't we stop the bullying and torment that some Educators are experiencing. Isn't that more important the well being of the Educators to continue caring for children? We need to look amongst ourselves and prioritise our actions before more Educators quit!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Dear Chrissy,

How sorry I am to hear what an awful experience you have had, its disgusting and not acceptable and should not be allowed. You sound like you have so much passion for the job, why don't you consider doing family day care? You get to work from home and have your own child in your care....you are somewhat your own boss. It would be such a shame to have someone like you to leave the industry. These people are just ignorant and arrogant human beings.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

Kira99

Post by Kira99 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:38 am

Same reson why I left. I've only worked at two centers. One high end one not so high end. Same everywhere. Abuse and negelct take place and people are so hush hush about it. I'd love to go back, but, I can't. Too many bad teachers.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Kira99,

People are so ignorant, I can't believe the adults caring for children are behaving this way, how are the children to learn to be caring, kind and accepting citizens.
Please don't give up, the industry needs educators like you, look into Family Day Care.
You would be your own boss, set your own routine and program with the support of coordinators that only pop in if you need support or once every 2-4 weeks.
I think you would love it.

Regards
linsaa fdc :wave:

floosi

Post by floosi » Mon May 11, 2020 5:45 am

I'm sure everyone in this forum are beautiful people who works for passion more than for money. Thanks for trying to improve everyday at work and for sharing a smile with those little souls.