Toileting accidents

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Teresa_Christina94

Toileting accidents

Post by Teresa_Christina94 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 pm

I am a trainee in a preschool and have a couple incidents with one of the classroom teachers that I think she has reacted wrongly and was wondering if I am thinking correctly.

One day at work we had quite a few children have toileting accidents in the classroom and one teacher asked a three year old rather rudely who has been in undies for a while if she needs to be put in a nappy.

Another incident was a two year old had a toileting accident outside, I changed her and left one other staff member to control where she had the accident. I noticed the child was upset while I was changing her, I asked her if she was okay and she just looked at me and started to cry. I asked her if she was upset because she had an accident and she nodded and continued to cry. I was hugging her and trying to reassure her that it is okay when a teacher came in and practically took her out of my arms rudely and said I needed to get outside now because we were understaffed. Now I understand the understaffed part but not letting me quickly make sure that the child was okay I think is wrong.

Am I right in assuming that in the above two incidents the teacher was in the wrong?? Help please?

justme

Re: Toileting accidents

Post by justme » Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Talk with the teacher and ask her if you did the right thing in those situations, ask for feedback and say you have been thinking about it for a while.

She may apologise for her behaviour and explain her reasoning behind her behaviour

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 am

I am guessing same teacher, if these all happened on the same day than she might of been having a bad day herself. But still no need for her to 1. speak to the child in that manner and 2. speak to you in that manner and rip a child that you are holding, cld you not have taken the child outside with you?

I would start with speaking to the teacher in question, and if it falls on deaf ears than speak to someone you trust about this teachers moods and way she's been speaking to children and yourself(maybe even other staff). You can not allow this to bottle up or you will find yourself not liking going to work when that teacher is on. I have been thru something simular. And NO from what you wrote you didn't do anything wrong you where doing your duty of care to the child you needed you, but yes being under staff is a lil tricky at times and you need to try and remember that , kwim!

lumamelzem

Post by lumamelzem » Sun May 05, 2013 8:33 pm

But hand on weren't u trying to help the teacher out otherwise she will be doing the changing
u said u are training you are not part of the ratio.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Unfortunately some teachers are very impatient with children when it comes to toilet training. Especially if it's a busy day or there are frequent accidents happening. It is concerning because if a child is yelled at during the toilet training process then they are more likely to regress rather than progress... Yes, you can go and talk to this teacher directly however sometimes it may make matters worse rather than good.

- take all toilet training children for toileting every hour. I now it seems like a lot of work however this is a proven technique that works. As children begin to toilet train they sometimes forget to go because they are preoccupied with play or something else. By taking children every hour gives them the opportunity to stop what they are doing and go.

- if a child is upset it is our number one priority to acknowledge the child's feelings and try and rectify the situation. What you did was right and if the teacher continues to act like this then the child is going to be scared of coming to Childcare all together. Maybe you could suggest next time if the child can come outside with yu for a few minutes while they settle, then you can send them back inside.

Yes, I understand that we all have our bad days however it doesn't give us the right to take it out on the children... You're thinking is correct and what this teacher did was unacceptable. If it continues maybe yu should talk to your director about it rather than the teacher itself...

Hopefully things will change,

:geek:,
L.A