Mum Found Child In Centre Car Park

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
michelle123

Mum Found Child In Centre Car Park

Post by michelle123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:10 pm

When a parent picked up her child another child slipped out the gate and her mum found her in the car park. This is very serious so what can be done to make sure this doesn't happen again? Obviously better supervision at pick up times, any suggestions? I don't work Mondays and just got an email from the director letting me know what happened.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Re: Mum Found Child In Centre Car Park

Post by megs_95 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Wow that definitely would be a scare for the staff and I'd say the parent wasn't pleased...

How many barriers to the carpark are there? In your post it sounds as if there was only one gate between the children and the carpark... perhaps adding additional barriers would be helpful. I know in my centre, for a child to get to the carpark they'd have to get through the room door, front door and the front gate, which makes it very unlikely. So if a child slips through the door, they just find themselves in the foyer with nowhere to go.

Otherwise, supervision is key... though it can be really hard when parents are coming and going and wanting to talk to educators, the doors/gates are always being opened, and some children just like to cause mischief and try to run out the door. Maybe it's worth discussing with all the staff together how you can supervise the area more effectively.

michelle123

Post by michelle123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks for the response, from the yard there is the room screen door then the foyer door then the gate so that's why there needs to be more done to prevent this happening again. I like the idea of barriers but all I can think of is better supervision and talking to the kids at group time. Thanks again

rsvnyn
Participator
Participator

Post by rsvnyn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi

Yes, talking to the children during group time is a good idea. In our kindergarten, we say the children that "until we see your mum or dad or nan or pop, and until we say you can go, you should not go away from the mat" and also we have displayed on the doors that the door does not close automatically, please ensure you close the gate properly. Also, it is written that the parents are asked to open the gate only for their child. In the similar way you could display something like "parents please make sure that only your child is going out of the door with you"

michelle123

Post by michelle123 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks for your reply, good ideas. I haven't been at work yet but I can imagine the girls had a shake up.