Contract and pay rate

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Post Reply
Viviannnguyen
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:11 pm

Contract and pay rate

Post by Viviannnguyen » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I want to ask that I discussed with my childcare owner about promotion and she agreed to appoint me as part-time from casual educator. But since then she didn't send me new contract and I kept asking her every week. I messaged her to ask about upcoming payment and she said she will pay me as part-time rate instead of casual eventhough I didn't sign new contract yet. What should I do now? Please give me advice. Thank you.


StevenLoughlin
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:47 pm

Re: Contract and pay rate

Post by StevenLoughlin » Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:57 pm

Ask your childcare owner for a written confirmation of your new part-time status and the agreed-upon terms. This can serve as a temporary agreement until the official contract is provided.basket random

User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14557
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Contract and pay rate

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:31 pm

Have your hours changed from casual to part-time? Was this a mutual agreement between you and the childcare owner that you both agreed for you to be part-time?

:geek:,
Lorina

Little_smiles
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:22 pm

Re: Contract and pay rate

Post by Little_smiles » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:20 pm

Hi Lorena!

I hope someone can help me!

To provide some background about me (NSW)

I began working as a trainee in 2013 and completed my certificate 3.
I then went on and completed my diploma in 2016.

I have 9 years of experience as a Nominated Supervisor in conjunction with over 7 years experience as Educational Leader.

I have decided to take a break from being a nominated supervisor and have taken a role as an assistant centre manager for 100 placement centre Long Day Care/Pre-school. Because I have my diploma I have taken this time to enroll in an accelerated course to complete a bachelor’s of educator 0-5.

My employer has now completed an ECT waiver for myself whilst I complete my studies and continue my role as assistant manager.

So my question is;

Does my award level and pay rate change now since the ECT waiver has come into place? If so does my pay rate change since I am technically taking in two roles?

What would my level be once I have completed my 4 -year ECT based on my previous experience 8 years diploma experience (NS/education leader experience) and combination with the assistant manager


Apologies for the mouthful! I hope someone can help!

User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14557
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Contract and pay rate

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 18, 2026 11:03 pm

Hi!

The ECT waiver is really just a compliance thing so the centre can tick the boxes while you study.. it doesn’t automatically bump your award level or pay rate. Your pay sits with your assistant centre manager role, and even though you’re covering two responsibilities, awards don’t usually stack rates. Some centres might offer an allowance if you’re taking on extra duties, but that’s up to your employer or enterprise agreement. Once you finish the bachelor’s, that’s when you’ll move into the ECT classification, and with your 8+ years diploma experience plus leadership background, you’ll likely start at the higher end of the scale. That combo with assistant manager experience puts you in a strong spot for higher pay or even director roles down the track.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Post Reply