Working while pursuing Diploma course.

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nidhigagnesh

Working while pursuing Diploma course.

Post by nidhigagnesh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 am

Hi,
We have recently moved to Australia as a Permanent Resident.
Although I am a software engineer by profession but have great drive to work with and for kids also I
have a son of 5 yrs. so have some practical home experience also.
I am keen on changing my career and entering the childcare industry. Due to family responsibilities working while studying is an
absolute necessity. I did some research about Cert III and Diploma courses and choose for the Diploma course witch will be commencing this month end with 2 day classes.

I know that while pursuing Cert III we may work in a childcare if we get some documentation from our institute ; but just now read in one of the posts that for Diploma before working either we have to have completed the Cert III units or 30% of it.
Now, I am not aware as in how much time it would take to complete 30% of the units .

So keeping in mind my conditions as in working is an absolute necessity and I don't want to do any other casual work other than childcare should I opt for Cert III first and after completing that may do Diploma. Please help me with this decision.

Also the institute I have joined is Elite Training Institute . If someone can please suggest regarding the credibility of the institute ; it would be a great help and highly appreciated.

Also since I am new to Australia so I don't have any prior knowledge regarding the Early Learning Framework etc. Will I be studying these as part of the curriculum or do I need to get myself equipped with this knowledge myself ? If that is the case then how and from where can I get the information and also what all apart from ELF do I need to have information of?

Apologies for the long post but I really intend to be best equipped and also want to make a correct and wise decision.

Thanks and Regards,
Nidhi Sharma

Lorina

Re: Working while pursuing Diploma course.

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Nidhi,

Welcome to Australia and welcome to Aussie Childcare Network. :wave:

In regards to the cert 3/diploma course - if you choose the diploma course the first units you will be completing is actually the cert 3 units. The cert 3 is embedded into the diploma - once you have completed those units - even if you haven't yet completed your Diploma you will be a cert 3 qualified educator while you continue studying to be a diploma, qualified educator.

As for the 30% of units to be completed - this is the requirement to be accounted as a Diploma qualified educator. So, you don't have to worry about this as yet:

Here is some more information:

You are considered actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification if you can provide documentary evidence from the course provider to your approved provider that you are:

enrolled in the course and have started study
making satisfactory progress towards completing the course
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment.
You are considered actively working towards an approved diploma level qualification if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

Reference: ACECQA

When completing the Diploma qualification - you will be covering all aspects of the EYLF, National Quality Framework, Regulations, Law and much more! So, even if you have no prior knowledge - you will learn it through your units. so, don't worry too much, you will learn as you go.

To get a head start, you can find information, articles on this site itself so you can get an overall understanding of what it is:

Childcare Programming
Childcare Articles

Hope this information helps to get you started.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina