Require advice on Career Change

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
pavithras

Require advice on Career Change

Post by pavithras » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:54 am

Hi

I am an IT professional working for more than 9 years in the IT field. I work in Sydney CBD which demands an hour of travel from the place where I stay. Eventually I am not available at home for about 11-12 hours in a day. And also my job becomes stressful sometimes but I wouldn't complain about the pay. I get about $35 an hour including superannuation and tax.

Now I am thinking for a career change for a few reasons:
1. Work nearby home
2. Opt for flexible working hours
3. Spend more time with my child and take care of house work at my own convenient time
4. Reduce stress and work in a more relaxed environment

Please let me know if working as an Early Childhood Educator in a Child care will be a good option. If that is the case please answer my queries below:
1. Which course should I choose to study? I want to enroll for a short term course first. And which courses can I do in parallel?
2. Can I work as soon as I enroll for a course or should I wait to complete the course?
3. Will I get a job with no experience in the field?
4. What will be the fees like (for an Aus PR)?
5. Which are the best institutes to do this course (distance learning)?
6. How much pay can I expect to start afresh with no child care experience?
7. What other benefits do I get?
8. Can I choose to work flexible hours or maybe 6 hours a day only?
9. Do I get any leaves during school vacation?
10. Can I become a primary school teacher after working in child care for a while?

Lorina

Re: Require advice on Career Change

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:20 am

When working in an LDC (long day care) it can also be stressful and demanding sometimes. I think it's safe to say that all jobs can get like that at some point. As an educator you have many responsibilities throughout the day, not just intereacing with children. You have to document and record their progress, plan for future learning, follow up on experiences, evaluate activities for the day, make sure that they are safe as well as deal with parents, other team staff etc, oblige by the nqs, laws and reguations and much more! Also, you are working with children with many many different personalities and characters you have to be able to deal with any behavioural issues and be extremely patient! You could be working with 15 children or more each day (of course depends on the centre and the room). I'm just preparing you for what you can expect while working in childcare. Even though with so much responsibility that we have, it definetly is worth it and it really is a great feeling being able to spend your time with children and watching them grow and develop!Working in childcare, it's a roller coaster ride! :giggle:

1. Well do you want to do a Diploma or a cert 3 qualifcation? A Diploma is a room leader while a cert 3 is assisting in the room. You need to complete either qualifcation to be able to work in childcare and they both take 2 years to complete.

2. Once you have enrolled and have completed 30% of the corse you will be considered "actively working towards" your qualifcation so you can apply for a cert 3 position. You can also do casual work. As such as part f the course you will be required to do work experience so working in a childcare centre will give help yu during this time.

3. Yes...

4. It depends on the course provider.

5. TAFE but there are many avaiable.

6. As a cert 3 assitant educator your full time hourly wage is a minimum of$20.13/ once you have started or received your cert 3 qualification.

7. Depends on the centre.

8. Typically you work 38 hours a week or 40 hrs with 1 RDO each day. You could try peschools who are opened for less hours rather than an LDC.

9. No for a LDC because it's opened all year round.

10. You can only be a primary teacher if you complete your bachelor degree.

Hope these help you get an idea on what to expect.

If you have any further questions let me know,

:geek:,
Lorina

pavithras

Post by pavithras » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:35 am

Thank you so much Lorina for the response. It is a tough decision to make now. I am still confused whether to consider the career change.
Let me think over it again and again but definitely your advise is very useful. Will keep in touch with this forum regularly.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Yes, it's alot to consider!!

Take your time and see whether it's really worth it... You have to work out what really benefits you and your family...

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Pavithras,
You could consider Family Day Care. You can study while you are working and you work from home and would be able to be with your child.
All of the same things that Lorina mentioned are the same for FDC, but you can set your own fees, days and hours.

Linsaa fdc :wave: