FDC Coordinator

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
EnnaihrAlasile

FDC Coordinator

Post by EnnaihrAlasile » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi there,

New user here. Not sure if I'm in the right forum but there isn't much information out there for FDC Coordinators so thought I'd try here. Hope someone can help me

A few months ago, I was hired to be a FDC Coordinator. I'm apparently a 'contractor'. All coordinators are apparently 'contractors'. However, i feel that I'm being treated as an employee. For example, I have a scheduled roster, I have to ask permission for days off, she pays my super, she tells me what to do, when to do it and how to do it, etc. You get the picture.

Now, my problem is that:

1. I'm not being paid the award rate for a family day care coordinator because as a 'contractor', minimum wages don't apply and wages are negotiable

2. I'm being treated as an employee but don't get any employee benefits (e.g. annual leave, sick leave, etc.) I also have to work under her guidance whereas contractors are their own entity and are able to run their business as they see fit

3. I make my own invoices, record my own timesheets and have to pay my own taxes

Is this normal for FDC Coordinators? Or is this sham contracting? I genuinely don't know and would love to hear from other Coordinators.

Another question I have is about over-time and what is considered over-time? For example, my contracted hours are 9am-3pm but as a coordinator I also have to do after school visits which could end as late as 5:30pm depending on the location. Do the over-time rates apply to me or is that something i have to discuss with the Director because I'm a 'contractor'?

Also, she sometimes sends me home early from the office (for example 2:30pm) and then asks me to do after school visits from 4pm. Is this considered split shift? Do i get split shift allowance? And is there a minimum amount of hours she has to pay me for the second shift?

I have previous experience as a fdc coordinator years ago but it was very brief and I can't seem to remember much. I do remember though that I was being paid the award rate at the time and instead of being paid over-time, it went towards time in lieu. But I don't even get that with this scheme.

Please help. I know there are about a million and 1 questions but any information helps. I've tried googling and googling but everything i find relates to employees only. This is my last hope. Otherwise, i guess I'll just have to accept my fate lol sounds dramatic 😂 thanks lovelies. Can't wait to hear from you x

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: FDC Coordinator

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:19 pm

1. I'm not being paid the award rate for a family day care coordinator because as a 'contractor', minimum wages don't apply and wages are negotiable

Fdc employees are covered under the relevant awards and also specified in the Social,Community,Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award

2. I'm being treated as an employee but don't get any employee benefits (e.g. annual leave, sick leave, etc.) I also have to work under her guidance whereas contractors are their own entity and are able to run their business as they see fit

No benefits might be because you are contracted
Technically working under guidance is something contractors do, but in this case I can see why its frustrating

3. I make my own invoices, record my own timesheets and have to pay my own taxes

Is this normal for FDC Coordinators? Or is this sham contracting? I genuinely don't know and would love to hear from other Coordinators.

All coordinators & office staff I know are employeed so they don't do any of that stuff

Another question I have is about over-time and what is considered over-time? For example, my contracted hours are 9am-3pm but as a coordinator I also have to do after school visits which could end as late as 5:30pm depending on the location. Do the over-time rates apply to me or is that something i have to discuss with the Director because I'm a 'contractor'?

This is what doesn't make sense
if you are a contractor why would you work for free and why wouldn't your contract allow over time hours even if its not a common/encouraged occurrence.
On those days it would make more sense to start later so its the same amount of time, be compensated financially or get time off.

Also, she sometimes sends me home early from the office (for example 2:30pm) and then asks me to do after school visits from 4pm. Is this considered split shift? Do i get split shift allowance? And is there a minimum amount of hours she has to pay me for the second shift?

Again all coordinators & office staff I know work a continuous shift typically the whole day.
Majority of people including management work permanent part time.
I think minimum hours in general is 3, but as you're contracted the award and other conditions might not apply, kind of a loophole working against you

What you described doesn't sound quite right at the very least seems very unfair.
I'd check your contract and sit down with you director and tell them your concerns.
If they are genuine they should be able to clear this up. If I ran a service I wouldn't treat my employees or contractors like that.
Most fdc services treat employees well some even pay above award and you deserve to be at a service that pays you properly even if you are contracted.

If your in Vic there's quite a few jobs going ;)
Sorry if that's not exactly what you wanted,  happy to talk more if you need.
You can also hop on facebook and join fdc groups so you can hear from more people.

EnnaihrAlasile

Post by EnnaihrAlasile » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Thank you so much for replying.

I am in Vic and as you know, we're in and out of lockdown 😫 since i started working, our educator capacity has gone down 50%. Due to this, she says she can't afford to pay me at the award rate. She did increase my pay a whole dollar, but I'm still about $1.50 under the award rate. But get this, in order for her to be able to pay me that extra dollar, she has reduced office hours by a whole hour. And if i do the math, I'm getting less than i was previously.

Lets put it into perspective. Previously i was getting $26/hr for 6hrs ($156/day). Now I'm getting $27/hr for 5hrs ($135/day). I'm losing out on a whole $20.

So bloody dodgy. When i bring things like this up to her, she talks my ear off about how much of a hard time she has had due to Covid (fair enough, i can understand that), and that MAYBE in the future she will increase my pay if i show my 'commitment'. Meaning if I'm still working for her after a certain period of time. But i know for a fact (through educators) that she goes through coordinators like nothing. This past year she has had 6 different coordinators come and go, and apparently I've been the longest to stay (I've only been here for almost 4 months).

I think once lockdown lifts and I'm back to working in the office, I'll definitely voice my concerns about my contract again.

Thanks heaps for your help. I'd love to join those groups, please let me know how. Take care lovely xo

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:19 pm

2020 was extremely hard on the fdc sector, especially services and we're still in a pandemic but there's too many red flags here.

Commitment has nothing to do with remuneration, it should be set eg start of the year, eofy, after formal trial period etc and should always be going up not unknown, that's not fair to you at all.

High turnover in fdc staff is a bit uncommon,
Suggest looking into other options, like doing the same job elsewhere or working in a different setting like kinder, ldc in addition etc put some eggs in different baskets

On facebook just search family daycare support group australia, family day care Australia etc and quite a few pages come up. If its a private group, just answer the questions as best you can or send admins a message explaining that you work in fdc after putting in a request to join - fdc educators and services are a friendly, helpful & supportive bunch online. Just remember that nothing online is 'private' post anonymously if possible ;)

Hope that's helpful, goodluck :)