Associate Diploma Qualified Gained in 1998

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Nicolejenicek

Associate Diploma Qualified Gained in 1998

Post by Nicolejenicek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 pm

I am staring a new job and when I asked for my hourly rate I was asked what I was paid previously
Please help with what the new steps mean and what is the hourly rate for experienced Ass Diploma ...
Can you be paid less if Diploma was competed in 1998 but have updated child protection and CPR and First Aid and have been working??
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Diploma wages

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 am

I have been trying to find out what Classification Level you will be in regards to the new Modern Award. I had a look at the ACECQA website and was going through their list of approved qualification for a Diploma trained.

You mentioned you have an Associate Diploma is that an Associate Diploma of Social Science (Child Care)? If you do then you will be Classified as Level 4 as per the Modern Award. This means your hourly minimum wage is $21.27 ( as group leader position). However if you are working as an assistant then your minimum wage is $20.33

I haven't found any information for NSW regarding if you get paid less because you gained your qualification in 1998.

What were you getting previously, if you don't mind me asking...

Here are the Classification Levels explained to give you a better idea:
Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

:geek:,
L.A

Nicolejenicek

Re: Associate Diploma Qualified Gained in 1998

Post by Nicolejenicek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 am

I was getting paid just under $21.32 as an assistant but am starting a new job and employee is asking my steps and I think I should say higher because of my many years of experience.

Is it worth me updating my Diploma? Will I be paid more?
I just don't think that it is fair that I am discriminated because of this even though I have updated certain modules like child protection, first Aid etc as well as on the job work shops.

My new job offered me around $22 something and I am happy with that but he has not decided if it is room leader as the Center has not opened yet.

Is it worth paying close to $1000 dollars to update (8 modules) through ECTARC just for an increase of a couple of dollars even though I have studied and are well updated with the ELYF ???

Yes was Associate Diploma of Social Science ( child studies) through Tafe .

Thanks for your help and this site is awesome

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Again,

If they are offering you $22 then that's good... It's above award wage as the minimum is $21.27 or $20.33 depending on your position.

With the modern award there is no step system anymore like there used to be. Each year you work working with your employer then you wage increases. Not by much by like 35 cents . It goes up only for the first 2 years of working for the same employer and then it's up to the employer to give you a pay increase if any, after that.

In my opinion I don't think it's necessary to update your Diploma. I mean you are already getting paid above award and I don't think it makes that much of a difference in pay to be honest, not even a couple of dollars. You are already getting paid as a Diploma and your wages really depend on the centre you are at. I also believe the experience is more important than a certificate. so, I wouldn't be bothered, as long as you are up to date with the necessary changes that are happening in child care such as EYLF, NQS etc...

Glad you like this site by the way! :thumbup:

I'll see you around the forum!

:geek:,
L.A

Nicolejenicek

Post by Nicolejenicek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Awesome ... Your help has been very valuable
Good on you for your dedication and sharing your Knowledge :) :)

lucyzhang008

Post by lucyzhang008 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:22 pm

how to gain a associate diploma, I am applying for an a new job, it requires the associate diploma, but currently I could not find this course.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 pm

lucyzhang008 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:22 pm
how to gain a associate diploma, I am applying for an a new job, it requires the associate diploma, but currently I could not find this course.
What associate diploma are you refering to?
If its something that is required there should be courses currently offered...

If you can't find it, it may not exist

If its childcare/early childhood education related it should be on this list:
https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/nqf-approved