Are meal breaks counted as ordinary hours and paid? How can I ask for more hours in the roster if it’s not paid?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
marixxx

Are meal breaks counted as ordinary hours and paid? How can I ask for more hours in the roster if it’s not paid?

Post by marixxx » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi everyone!

I’m a longtime lurker in this network and it’s my first time joining.

I am a Cert III qualified educator (finishing my Diploma by end of year) and got recently hired by a centre. I am on a student visa which means I’m restricted to working only 20hrs/week or 40hrs/fortnight.

My centre manager scheduled me to work 5hrs/day for 4 days to complete my 20hrs. However, upon receiving the roster, I saw that there is a 30 min break included. I researched and meal breaks are not paid and not counted in ordinary hours, so that means I’m only working 17.5 hours in a week.

What will be my best approach to ask for more hours to complete my 20hrs/week?

Thank you so much!

marixxx

Re: Are meal breaks counted as ordinary hours and paid? How can I ask for more hours in the roster if it’s not paid?

Post by marixxx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:18 am

How can I ask for more hoursv

Lorina

Re: Are meal breaks counted as ordinary hours and paid? How can I ask for more hours in the roster if it’s not paid?

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi! :wave:

Nice to have you join our forum!!

I would simply be honest and tell them directly exactly what you mentioned here. That you noticed that you're only working 17.5 hours per week since meal breaks are unpaid and if they could kindly increase the hours so you reach 20 hrs per week.

:geek:,
Lorina