Accredited Primary Teacher wanting to branch into early childhood

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
andromeda

Accredited Primary Teacher wanting to branch into early childhood

Post by andromeda » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi,

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I am an accredited primary school teacher having completed a bachelor of teaching (primary) back in 2016.

I have took a break from teaching and want to get back into but am interested in going into early childhood.

What do I need in order to become qualified to work in early childhood? Would it be best I complete a diploma or am I able to do a traineeship (to get experience as I have been out of education for a few years now) or because of my degree I cannot do a traineeship for a cert III?

Thank you for any advice!

HeidiMaree

Re: Accredited Primary Teacher wanting to branch into early childhood

Post by HeidiMaree » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:18 pm

You can do a one year Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood through Swinburne University. Google that and you’ll find out. Ive just enrolled for the October intake, it’s HECS funded too

Lorina

Re: Accredited Primary Teacher wanting to branch into early childhood

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:53 pm

From 1 January 2022, a person who holds ALL of the following will be recognised as equivalent to an early childhood teacher:

a primary or secondary teaching qualification
AND
teacher registration in Australia (called ‘accreditation’ in New South Wales)
AND
an ACECQA-approved certificate III level (or higher) early childhood education and care qualification.

For more information: Primary/Secondary Teachers Recognised As ECT's

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina