Work Legally and Ethically

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
SarahPerotti

Work Legally and Ethically

Post by SarahPerotti » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Q1:

Carlton a co-worker reveals to you that he had a conversation with Jessica in the staff room and the conversation turned to drugs. Jessica had described how a particular drug had always made her feel good and more loving towards other people and that if she could take it at work it would make her job so much easier. Carlton then told you that he had spotted a package with 3 pills in it in Jessica's bag today and is concerned that she might have drugs on the premises and could possibly be taking drugs at work:

a) Identify whether you feel the scenario is a legal breach of legislation or an ethical issue /dilemma?

My answer (Please help)

This is to begin with an ethical dilemma as you are not sure if the package contains drugs or not as it could be a normal painkiller like disprin? I would have to ascertain whether the pills are drugs or not?

b) Explain how you would report and respond to each scenario?

My answer

I would take Jessica aside and ask her if she had any drugs in the package that had been spotted in her bag. If she could prove out right that they were just generic painkillers I would leave it there. If not I would inform her that I was going to report the incident to our Supervisor/Educator as this was a breach of legislation and unethical and I had a duty of care to the children as it had been brought to my attention.

c) Identify which policies and procedures you would need to considerfor addressing the scenarios?

My answer

Need help with the legislation (If any)

1. Demonstrate the service code of conduct/code of ethics in all interactions and relationships at the service;

2. Respect and support colleagues by developing positive and ethical channels of communication that are based on principles of mutual respect, equity and fairness;

3. Be proactive in supporting a healthy team environment;

4. Maintain professional and ethical standards at all times when dealing with families, educators and the children;

Describe what effective problem-solving techniques you would need to use:

My answer

1. Identify and clarify the problem or issue

2. Identify and understand the outcomes that I am hoping achieve

3. Consider all options

4. Work co-operatively to reach a mutually agreed outcome.

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

Lorina

Re: Work Legally and Ethically

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Yes, you're on the right track!

It is an ethical dilemma because of the conversation you assume it could be drugs but then again it could be something else and you don't want to jump to conclusions.

You probably wouldn't want to accuse Jessica that she brought drugs to the centre. You could say that you noticed pills in her bag and that Carlton was concerned about the conversation they had earlier and to show you the pills. If Jessica can prove that they are generic pills then let it be but if she can't she has to give you the tablets and you need to dispose of them. You have to keep a record of what happened and inform the Director of what has occurred.

The rest of your response is good!

:geek:,
Lorina

SarahPerotti

Post by SarahPerotti » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you so much

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:23 pm

You're welcome!

:geek:,