Too old for a 36yrs old mom with cert 3.

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Jennyloh

Too old for a 36yrs old mom with cert 3.

Post by Jennyloh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi,

I am a mother and I'm 36 years old. I am currently studying certificate 3 through online study and will have to go for the practicing soon. May I know how do you source for a centre who will take a staff on a temporary basis and do I get paid during my practical with the centre? Furthermore do an older person like me with basic certifcate get paid lower than a youngter? Also anyone can give me a rough idea on the hourly paid in perth for a certificate 3 holder?

Appreciate if anyone of you can share your thoughts or experience. Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Too old for a 36yrs old mom with cert 3.

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey Jenny,

Welcome back to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave: ... Haven't seen you around in awhile... I hope you're doing well...

how do you source for a centre who will take a staff on a temporary basis

Practical experience is a time for you to really understand what is required and what it's like when working in a childcare centre… Typically it’s pretty simple to find a childcare centre that you can do practical experience at… Have a look in your area at different childcare centers, basically you contact them and let them know you want to do your work placement there. The director will let you know if they can accommodate you. Most centers are happy to have students along at their centre.

do I get paid during my practical with the centre? Furthermore do an older person like me with basic certifcate get paid lower than a youngter?

Unfortunately you will not get paid for work placement. You are there as a student to get some real hands on experience and to learn and observe. I don’t believe that because you are mature then others your pay will be lower. It’s more to do with the qualifications and experiences you have. Whether your young or mature I don’t think it makes a difference.

anyone can give me a rough idea on the hourly paid in perth for a certificate 3 holder?

Im from Sydney so I’m not exactly sure how much you will get paid however I will try to find out for you. Just keep in mind that you will find that some childcare centres pay more than others. This depends on what the childcare centre is willing to offer you, but there is a minimum hourly wage that you are at least entitled to…

I hope this clears the air a little,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:42 pm

hello jenny- welcome to the forum. When you do secure your practical placement at a Child Care Center , you are not a paid employee rather you are there as a student/trainee. To my knowledge your training provider should be able to assist you in obtaining a suitable placement .There are considerations to make regarding insurance and liability whilst you are at the Center. As for pay rates as a qualified Certificate III worker, I believe the Child Care workers Award 2010 is national. Here in NSW am earning around $20 per hour as a full-time employee. Some Centers pay above the base rate. Good luck with finding the right Center for your placement- and remember you will get lots of support online here if you need it! :thumbup:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Age has no bearing on your wage, your qualifications & years you have had those qualifications is what determines your wages
With a Cert III and no experience I think around the $19 is what you will be earning I reckon... but young or old, someone with the same quals & experience as u would be getting the same wage

sandi28
Participator
Participator

Post by sandi28 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:24 am

I am 50 and doing this course. I would like to think/hope that chidren need and can relate to all aged carers. I attended a workshop recently where the presenter was pushing late 60's+ She inspired young and old and inspired me. Caroline Fewster is a great role model. Search her name. !feel so lucky I got to attend one of her sessions. She is my new 'role model'.