Tafe or Uni

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 pm

Tafe or Uni

Post by Iriniiii » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:36 am

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here, I'm planing to study certification 3 of early childhood educator. When I choose training provider I'm wondering what's the difference between Tafe and Uni? If what they offer are the same, should I choose Uni as it sounds more formal? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Tafe or Uni

Post by Butterflyblue » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:22 am

Universities and TAFE's (Technical and Further Education) offer different levels of qualifications depending on the provider.

The Australian qualifications framework outlines the 10 different levels of qualifications or studies one can complete. (link below)
Levels 1 - 6 are Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses which are available at TAFE. Levels 7 and up are usually completed at university.

A certificate 3 in early childhood education and care is a VET level qualification, available at TAFE. Some TAFE's are attached to universities.

You can also study at private registered training organisations (RTO's) or complete a traineeship.
The majority of the courses at TAFE, RTO's and uni's are nationally recognized and approved by the relevant industry.

Some benefits of TAFE include:
- very good academic staff and industry connections
- more consistent quality compared to RTO's
- better recognised nationally
- easier transfer to university if you want to upskill

If the TAFE is attached to a university
students usually have access to the same campus, facilities etc as university students do.
Some TAFE's have partneships with uni's as well that gets you that access.

I'd recommend TAFE, put some links below hope its helpful :)


https://www.gooduniversitiesguide.com.a ... et-courses

https://www.myskills.gov.au/more/help/c ... -provider/

Post Reply