Mature aged student

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
ugatha

Mature aged student

Post by ugatha » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 pm

I've just recently started a Certificate III in Children's Services. We're doing the course in 18 weeks, so it's pretty full on. I am really looking forward to finishing it. I have a bachelor of arts degree and I'm wondering if I should mention this on my resume. Does it make me seem over qualified?

Lorina

Re: Mature aged student

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Ugatha,

Welcome to the childcare industry and welcome to our forum!

A certificate 3 in childcare is a good qualification to start on when considering a career in this industry. You will learn the basics of working with children in childcare and the importance of child development in the first five years of life. This will certainly benefit your resume when your applying for a job in childcare. From here you can work your way up and even consider doing a diploma in the future if you want to pursue further studies. This decision is up to you if you would like to further your qualification and experience in childcare. The certificate 3 you be doing now will definitely give you more options.

You could never be over qualified for working in childcare. You should certainly mention your degree on your resume when applying for a job. You can in fact use this like a tool to your benefit.

By adding your degree onto your resume it will show that you have gone to Uni and completed some studies. This will benefit you as this will shows that you have a certain degree of knowledge. Although it may not be related to childcare, it shows your dedication in learning and discipline in completing an education.

However, when applying for a job, you should be prepared in answering questions from your employer like 'why you decided to work in childcare industry instead of working in a field related to your degree?'. You will have to convince your employer that you are passionate about working in this industry and that you are serious about childcare. The employer just needs to be convinced that you are just not applying for a temporary job at their place and later switch to a better job related to your degree. There are many people who have gone to uni to complete a degree but later decided to change their career. Now, there is definitely nothing wrong with that but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

So answering your question, I think you should mention your arts degree in your resume and just remember the above points.

Wish you the best and let us know on how you go.

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Ugatha,

What bachelor of arts degree do you have?

Just wondering :)

ugatha

Post by ugatha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 pm

L.A wrote:Hi Ugatha,

What bachelor of arts degree do you have?

Just wondering :)

It's a degree in journalism. I thought it would be useful for getting a job in a company's media centre or doing communications, but they all want five years experience. Oh well! I think I'll like children's services better anyway.