Looking for a job

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
amas

Looking for a job

Post by amas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi I just completed Cert III and looking for a job. I have sent my CV to heaps of centre but no replied so far. Could anyone tell me or sharing your experience about:

1) when is hiring season for childcare industry
2) how could you get in your centre
3) any bias on hiring people

i am not really hungry for money but can't wait to start a new career/job after gaving birth 2 babies and no productive for my family for a few years.

Much appreciated on any advice.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Looking for a job

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm

There is not any season as such as far as my experience goes...have you just sent your CV to centres without knowing if they have any openings? or have you sent them off having seen job ads?

Sometimes I have found calling and speaking to the Director or dropping off your CV personally is better as they actually see you and hear your voice and will remember you more than others who just email or post CVs through.

When I was job hunting I called and dropped off my CV to sooo many centres, but it can pay off.

seek.com.au is a good job portal as well as local papers etc

About the bias I found that if I just sent my CV off I wouldnt get much response (I am Pakistani & my name clearly reflects I am non aussie) ...thus why I phone or go see them personally. A cousin of mine works in HR and he said unfortunately with the number of CVs employers get yes sometimes they will just throw ones in the NO pile without even looking at them and will just look at the name.
I know I can make an impression if I meet people so I make sure I go into centres.

amas

Post by amas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi FeFe

Thanks for your quick reply. I didn't see many centres, which put on job ads. All my CV sending to centre are 'cold call' method to express my interest on the job.

I think i may try your way that go in the centre to express my interest. Do you know when is hiring season for job ads?

Thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 am

As I said before I do not think there is any "season" for childcare hiring. Just check the jobs each day, sometimes turnover of staff can be quick in centres or there are new centres opening for which they need staff.
Just check seek.com.au and papers etc everyday for new ads.
If you want a job you have to persevere.
Also there are many ppl out there with Cert III 's so competition is tough esp if you have no previous childcare experience.
Good Luck

smith76
Participator
Participator

Post by smith76 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Have you thought about putting your name down somewhere to do relief work until a position becomes available. I know there are
child care agencies that orgainize relief staff for centres and you may be able to find a position from there.

I know at goodstart they sign people up to do relief work and from there you will find positions available, i don't know how other centres work about hiring staff.