Just enrolled in Certificate III course at TAFE

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
MelH
Participator
Participator

Just enrolled in Certificate III course at TAFE

Post by MelH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi everyone, Im VERY new to this forum and have just enrolled in the Certificate III Course through TAFE. I am incredibly excited about this but a little scared. Im already 36 with 3 beautiful children and am taking a complete leap of faith, I have always felt that I should work with children but just never really followed my dream, well the saying goes "never too old to learn" and I am going to go for it....

If anyone has anything they want to add or input, I would be so grateful to hear from you all. Im not sure about the vocational placement situation and how it all works. I went to ABC and they have said to let them know as soon as my working with children check arrives and I can do this through them, they are happy to accommodate students.

How does it all work? Is it best to do each subject and then do some work at the centre and work through each unit that way, or do it all in one go once finished studying the theory side of it......

Would love to hear from anyone...

Thanks so much

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just enrolled in Certificate III course at TAFE

Post by Steffelz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey MelH, welcome, and congrats on getting into childcare! Age is just a number and the fact that you have kids kind of gives you a head start!!
Are you studying externally or are you going to classes?
This site is amazing everyone here is so lovely and willing to offer help and support, when assignments are killing you softly lol.
About the vocational placement thing, it all depends on your individual preference (i think). Im starting my placement soon but I chose to do a few modules first, and then soon il be doing them together, but it all depends on you. Im doing my placement through a kindy that is linked to my college but my son is enrolled at an ABC and I have a friend who is also doing her placement through them, and she said they are amazing to work with and as mentors, and my son adores going to "school" at ABC, so much so that I have to bribe him to come in the car :)
Maybe you could add the my wall feature of this site, its similar to facebook but different at the same time.
We are all learning and scared and probably all feeling the same things, so just know that your not alone
Thats my 10c worth anyway :)

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Steffelz, thank you so much for your warm wishes and welcome. I am really excited about this and so feel this is where I want to be, I love kids and am home with my 20 month old now and loving watching her grow. I have always thought I wanted to do this but held back for whatever reason, now I am going for it :)

I am studying externally so at my own pace but do want to try and complete this as fast as I can (with 3 children aged from 12 down to 20 months) so I realise I have to also be realistic :)

I stumbled across this site and I LOVE it, what a wealth of information and just guidance and to talk to people going through this is awesome especially for me and seeing that I am not the only "newbie" on the block :) just having the encouragement will be fantastic and help where I get tangled!

When I went to see the director of ABC she was absolutely amazing and so kind and the people there seemed so warm and friendly!! I felt so good being there.... My only dilemma will be where I will put my little one while doing the vocational side of things. There are no vacancies in our little town and that is a worry but I have prayed about this and believe it will work itself out, things always do if you have faith! :)

Thank you so much again. I will attempt the wall feature but if you see after this post nothing has transpired, I may need some advice LOL!!!

Have a fantastic day :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Just wanted to say good luck with the cert III and age is no barrier in fact can be an asset in this profession
I do not know much about placements since I did not need to do one as I was an existing worker and RPLed my entire Cert III but we did have a few people doing placements with us .... I worked at a Montessori Childcare on the Gold Coast at the time & from speaking to them I think u can choose who u do your placements with as long at its ok with your study provider
You will find this site a wealth of knowledge, resources & support during your studies.... I have finished my Diploma but still come on here and still learn from other peoples experiences

red

Post by red » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi MelH
I have also just started, I am on my third assignment at the moment, as I have been waiting on my blue card to do my placement, which I start this week. My teacher told me to try and get as many written done before i started my placement but I have time limits on mine. My first was due this month but due to my blue card taking so long they gave me a extention.
I am 35 and have three children, 3 1/2 year old, 23 month and a 7 month old and it can be a bit hard trying to study but Im getting there and Like you would like to finish as fast as I can.
so good luck with you studing

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi fefe76 and red,

Its awesome to hear from you :) fefe76 thanks for the info. I really am loving this site!!

red, I am still waiting on my books from TAFE, they didnt have it when I paid so that is rather frustrating but there is a reason for everything. Ok that sounds better as well, try and get as much written in as one can before starting placement.... that way the theory is also behind one. I have a 12 year old, a ten year old and a 20 month old so life is pretty full but I have to do this for me now and will do the best I can in the time I have :) :)

Who are you doing your placement through red? Please stay in touch and let me know how you go? Would love to just get an idea of how it all goes down and works.....

Good luck to you too :)

red

Post by red » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm studing through CQ tafe and doing my placemnt at early learning centre Norman Gadens.
They are nice there, it is also where my children go, but wont be working their rooms as there are two nurseries and two toddler rooms on one side and the other side there is pre kindy, kindy (which my oldest is in and preschool so there is plenty of differnt rooms to get exprience from

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Red, sent you a PM did you get it?

azurecara

Post by azurecara » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Hey there, I realise this topic is about a month old now, but had to reply.
I'm 33 and have been working through correspondence on my Cert III in Children's Services through TAFE. I have a 7yr old at home with me, and my 13yr old living with his Father.

I work part-time during school hours, and do a lot of after school care for my sister, so find the time to get my assignments done is proving very difficult. I was excited to start studying again after so long, and I still am very keen to get through my Cert III - but it is slow going. I often have to work extra hours, which had interferred with my vocational placement hours, and also doing the single parenting thing can be challenging as well.

I'm attempting to get two assignments finished today, which has proven a bit challenging, but I'm still plodding away at it.

Just thought you should know, reading about how others are around my age and doing the exact same thing, with similar challenges and things to overcome to study? VERY inspiring!! :)

Hope you all keep on, keeping on, like me! And one step at a time, we'll all get there!!

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi azurecara, welcome :)

I too am very busy and finding time to balance it all is proving difficult but I am finding that doing my placement is helping me gain even more understanding as well as I honestly feel having children assists a great deal.

We can do this!! :)

Good luck

Mel

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:50 pm

its great to see so many of you trying to get your certificate 3 completed. good luck with your studies. :thumbup:

kcj101181

Post by kcj101181 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi,

I am too new to all of this and am finding it so refreshing to have found this wonderful site!!! I am 30 and have a 4 1/2 year old and a 10 month old who both attend ABC schooling and both love it!!! I am just about to type up my first assignment and am a bit scared about the outcome. Although most of my answers came quiet easily as common knowledge with some help from the text book, I am a bit lost as to how tafe are expecting it to be laid out on paper. I ams studying externally as still at home with my 10 month old (through NTH Brisbane tafe) so if anyone can lend me their experience in this I would be so thankkful. Hope to speak with you all soon and thank you for all your wonderful knowledge and support on this.
Katrina

kcj101181

Post by kcj101181 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah!!! Have just finished my first cert III assignment!!! just about to post it off for marking, fingers crossed it meets the standard required but I am very proud of my achievement! bring on number 2! Kat

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Well done kcj101181 :) I finished mine about 3 weeks ago and it was assessed and I passed so I am absolutely thrilled, although I am now doing the CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk and finding it pretty intense. I want to first give it a bash myself before asking for help on the forum but gosh its heavy!! ;)

red

Post by red » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi MelH

Have being wondering how you were going but havent had chance to talk to you, been so busy my husband started a new job, which involves shift work so things have got a lot harder for me, plus doing my prac work, assignments and also I scored casual relief work where I was doing my prac. I'm on my 5th assignment now which the same as you are doing now CHCCHILD401A and Im half way through answering the questions, so hopefully will hit it on the head soon
Good luck with your assignment

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey Red, funny I have been thinking about you too! WOW your 5th assignment already, you are doing so well! Well done. This is my second and I must be honest, Im taking a bit of strain but going to attempt it as best I can. I am also doing casual relief work every now and again where I am doing my practical and it definately helps alot! Good luck and Merry Xmas :)

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm 41 with an 11 year old son and an 8 year old son and I've launched myself into childcare after many years as a primary teacher. So I'm doing my Certificate 3 and Diploma as well but not all of it as it is a "bridging course" for primary teachers. I'd like to think that my own experiences as a parent will help.

MelH
Participator
Participator

Post by MelH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Thats awesome teresamc, best of luck