getting a job while studying

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
luckya

getting a job while studying

Post by luckya » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi all

I am about to study to be a ECT and am wondering how difficult it is to get a job as a cert 111 (as I will be eligible as soon as I start my course) and then to move up into diploma qualified and then ECT. Because why would they hire you as a cert 111 when in a few months you'll be diploma qualified? (a few months for me as I have previous study) I also work in osch currently, including working with 4 year olds, does this help in getting a job? Or are their such staff shortages that they really need people who are qualified? I'm in Victoria btw. I would love to hear any stories about getting work as I am so excited to be starting my course. Thanks

Lorina

Re: getting a job while studying

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 am

If it's only going to take a few months to be Diploma qualified why not wait until you have received your Diploma qualification then you can find a job as a group leader rather than as an assistant (cert 3 qualification)? However if you don't have expereince working in an LDC or with younger children you may want to start out as an assistant and work your way up so to speak. If you haven't work in an LDC before then you may find it a little overwhelming to start off as a group leader.

Have you had any previous experience working with 0 - 5 years or just with OOSH?

Any experiences you have had working with children helps in getting a job, if you can get a reference from your current employer stating what your job is, how well you perform etc that will be great to show prospective employers...

:geek:,
L.A