Finding Work While Studying Cert3

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
kyllemae

Finding Work While Studying Cert3

Post by kyllemae » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the site and just began studying my cert3 online through OTEN :) Excited and thankful to finally be starting. As I move through the course I am hoping to pick up some part time or full time work at a centre, that will also eventually give me the practical work needed for the course. I know that positions in and around Sydney are offered while you are also "working towards" your certificate. Does my online teacher need to give me their approval when I begin looking for work, even though it's not initially for work placement but instead for me to earn an income?
Also what are your opinions/thoughts about using the recruiting agencies I see offering positions on their clients behalf, does anyone here use them?
Are they worth it and if so, are there any that you would recommend more than others? I understand they also take a percentage of your wage.
Thanks in advance!
:)

Lorina

Re: Finding Work While Studying Cert3

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi!

Congratulations! Welcome to the early childhood industry! :wave:

In regards to work, yes you can begin to look for work and as far as I'm aware you don't need approval from your course provider. Their main concerns are you getting your qualification and completing assignments etc. So, you can begin to look for a position as an assistant educator since you will be meeting qualification:

Here is some more information on "actively working towards":

Actively Working Towards An Qualification

With recruitment agencies, they will help you to find a job. They will interview you first, then find out what type of position you want, the areas you want to work in etc. then they will look for a position for you. Recruitment agencies have a lot of contacts and centres so you may get a few job offers. Once you get a job offer, you also have to go the centre for an interview as well. After the job interview, the centre will let the recruitment agencies know how it went etc.

I have used recruitment agencies and they have never taken a part of my wage... The centres pay them a fee to help them find someone for the position available but that's all...

Hope this information helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Recruitment agencies can help you look for casual work as well!

So rather than finding a centre on your own, you use a recruitment agency...

Lorina

kyllemae

Post by kyllemae » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:47 am

Lorina,

Thank you so much for all this information! I think I will definitely be signing up with a recruitment agency :) Do you perhaps know if there are rules that don't allow you to sign up with more than one at a time? I would ideally like to sign up with at least two or three, if possible. Are we allowed to name any agencies on this site? For example, an agency someone prefers to use over another? If not, would anyone be willing to PM me with some names?

Thank you also for the link to info about "working towards" a qualification, this was very helpful! My ultimate goal is to start a bachelor degree in early childhood education (birth - 12 years) in 2018 and be qualified to teach a wide range of ages, so the changes to the "working towards" requirements I see coming in Jan of 2018, is also good to know.

All very exciting but I know I have a long road ahead, especially as a mature-age student and mum, working (hopefully) full time ;) but I'm ready for the challenge! :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey!

When signing up with agencies some of them actually state in their contract that you cannot sign up with other agencies... Usually big childcare franchises have their recruitment agencies they prefer... If you go through a job site such as "career one", go through the job listings and you can see which agencies are most preferred by childcare centres... I have been through a few and I really think they are all very similiar. So, it's really up to you!

It's exciting starting a new career isn't it! Especially if you are looking forward to it and it's something you really want to do!

I'm here if you ever need support, to vent, to discuss anything!! So, feel free to PM me when you need me!

Lorina

kyllemae

Post by kyllemae » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 am

Lorina,

Thank you, again for your support! So happy to have found this site :) I will definitely PM you if I need to do any of the above, as I'm pretty sure I will need to do ALL of it over the next year or so :)

I actually do have another question but I think I will post it in another topic area as other people may also benefit from the answers as they may be in the same situation ;)

Thanks Lorina!