Cert III Over 1 year or 6 months

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
kelly1212

Cert III Over 1 year or 6 months

Post by kelly1212 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi as some of you know I am going to study for my Cert III Children services certificate. Leaving my well paid job and entering the childcare workforce. I'm actually quite excited. People in my work cant believe that I am leaving to pursue this avenue but I love children, have three teens and being stuck in a boring job day in day out for the next 30 years was scaring me Anyway....

Question it has been a long time since I studied (hence why im doing my Cert III first) but I have narrowed it down to two training facilities and I would appreciate your input.

First one;
Community college approx. 40 minutes away (not a problem) delivered 9-3pm one day a week + placements when needed- May be able to start Aug this year......which means not renewing my contract for work... Not really a problem ha-ha.

Second one;
Local Tafe (Which I sadly haven't really heard good things about) the course duration is over 6 months 2 x days a week + placements. However can't start till next year.

If you had a preference would you say do one day or two days? The Tafe is obviously local but.......

The other thing as well. I haven't had a holiday in over 3 years, should I take time out or grab the bull by the horns and go for it?? Ahhhh decisions!!

im asking for your input, I have no family here (except my lovely hubby and children) and as im so work orientated, since moving to where I am don't really have any close friends to chat to. Kind of sad really isn't it? It's like I have kind of woke up. Have any of you ever seen the matrix? That's how I feel. Anyway....

My long term goal would be to get my Diploma and I would love to work in a Kindergarten setting but baby steps first. I am also conscious of my age (39)

So do you think it's better to do the Cert III slowly over 12 months or do it in 6?

Any input I would really appreciate

Thanks heaps

Kel

neld

Re: Cert III Over 1 year or 6 months

Post by neld » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Kel, I am halfway through doing my cert III over 26 weeks, I go to college 1 day a week, work in my other job 3 days a week and do placement 1 day a week.
I also have young adult children who are still at home and have not done any form of study for over 25years, I found it very overwhelming at the beginning and think I have got on top of it now, don't get behind in your homework and assessments and always ask for help if you need it.
All the best, it will be so worth it.

kelly1212

Post by kelly1212 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Neld- Well done to you! Half way through- How exciting for you :-)

With my job I either renew my contract or I don't. There isn't unfortunately any middle ground on this. It's almost annoying at how people think im nuts for pursuing my dream. They don't understand how I can leave a well paid job lol.

We used to have a community college here but it got shut down, so the nearest one to me is 40 minutes away which isn't really a problem.

Thanks for the heads up about not getting behind. Luckily im the sort of person that doesn't procrastinate. I get it done as I get them but still study will be different.

Do you find lots of young teenagers in your class or older people as well?

Kel
-x-

neld

Post by neld » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Kel, we only have a small group with some of our class doing mostly external, there is 1 20year old in the class and the rest of us are in our late20's early 30's and mid 40's, I am looking forward to graduating but am also scared about getting a new job after nearly 30yrs in the same one.

muttley
Participator
Participator

Post by muttley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Kel,

I am 42 yo and I have been in my current job for 12 months now. I had a sea change I suppose you could call it and sent my resume to several long day care centres as, like you, I really love children. Fortunately, I had the owner of the centre I work at now reply and I have just completed my Cert III and I did mine externally and did it in about 10 months. I work at the centre 5 days a week and am full time. I had the support of my family, friends and work colleagues if I had or have any problems. I spent a lot of nights and weekends studying but with the support of everyone, I got it done. I too, hope to do my Diploma as well and hopefully I may be able to start that in the next month or two. I agree with Neld. Don't procrastinate over any homework or assignments.
Don't let any negative nellies tell you that you are doing the wrong thing by changing careers. How can it be the wrong thing if it feels right to you?
As to where you should do your Cert III, go with what your gut tells you. If you don't feel comfortable going to TAFE even though it is closer, don't go and go to the community college instead.
I wish you all the success in your new career.

Strawberry

Post by Strawberry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Oh how exciting, a great career change for you! Don't let the words of others get you down for wanting to follow your dreams, sure a well paying job is great but so is working doing something you actually enjoy. Money isn't always everything I like to think, I'd rather wake up of a morning excited to go to work ;). As for where to study it all depends on what you are comfortable with. Could you perhaps do some research on both to see what past Students have thought of taking the course through each? I had a similar situation a while ago but as I hadn't heard much about the College (advertisement or past student wise) I went with tafe. All the best with your future career, and remember you're never too old for a career change! :)

Valerie123

Post by Valerie123 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Kelly,

Good on you! I too left a well paying job to pursue a career in childcare - after 11 years of staring into computer screens for a living I couldn't stand it anymore! Have you considered external study? I only have my work placement to go for my Cert III and I have done the rest of the study over 3 months, because the external course let me go at my own pace (so you can do it full time and knock it off quickly, but you have the option of slowing down if family things come up etc) - it's not for everyone (it can be a bit lonely and isolating at times) but it could be a good option if you want to jump right in!